When are new rear shocks needed?

logres

Registered
I know that the manufacturers would have us believe that they should be replaced after 50K-80K miles.

My shocks have 90K on them but are not leaking. Do I still need new ones? Would I notice the difference if I put new ones on?

Thanks for the help.

RE: When are new rear shocks needed?

How are your rear shock mounts? If you hear clunking in the rear or the shock mounts are shedding rubber, I'd replace both shocks and mounts at the same time. (That's what I did at around 90k, since my mounts were going.) There was a noticeable difference, but it probably was attributable to the new mounts.

I just replaced the mounts a few months ago.

There really isn't anything weird going on back there, I'm just wondering if the car would perform a lot better with new shocks.

I don't know if the old push down on the bumper trick works due to the air suspension. Spring suspensions will bounce with a bad shock. But on a heavy vehicle like a pickup, that's not always the best test either. If you remove the shock, a bad shock will be noticeable by the stroke. Common gas charged shocks will slowly spring out to full extension. It should be relatively difficult to compress the shock. A worn shock will not spring out on its own and/or will be relatively easy to compress the length of the stroke.

Which is exactly what mine did when I had them out for the mount replacement.

I just ordered some replacements from rockauto. I thought about buying Cobra shocks, but I want to see if the full poly rear end rebuild (doing this in a few weeks) and upgrade to 17 inch wheels and 50 series tires will improve things enough that I don't have to go that route.

If you go over bumps and the car doesn't stop bouncing, it's time to replace them.

Rear shocks on my '94 were stock at 154k miles. They seemed to still function fine, up until 140k or so. That car was ready for some rear shocks.

Back