94 Mark VIII inner tie rod; How to remove it?

t4kne

Registered
I need help with this one. I started to remove the inner tie rod on my 94 Mark VIII when I noticed what looks like a pin throgh the nut into the steering shaft. How does this pin come out? I'm afraid to crank on the tie rod nut thinking this pin would not allow it to turn and I'd be putting too much pressure on the steering shaft. Anything else I should know before I continue on with this job? Thanks for your help.

RE: 94 Mark VIII inner tie rod; How to remove it?

According to the BOOK, there is a spiral pin in that hole. However, when I did mine, I found a small aluminum pin there. It has a "rivit type head on it." There was no spiral pin. The aluminum pin is only there to prevent the inner rod end from rotating (unscrewing) off of the steering gear selector shaft.

If you have true pin there, you will need to get hold of a spiral pin removal tool (Harbor Fright, etc)

Thank you. That's it, an aluminum rivet looking pin. How did you get that pin out?

Just pry it out. It's real short. You may need to screw in or out the tie rod end to remove any pressure on the pin (the shaft of the pin is sitting in a grove in the steering shaft. YOu want to center the pin in the shaft.)

I see now, thanks. I could see a small hole oposite the pin and wondered if I could tap it out from this side using a punch. I tried it but was afraid to hit it hard thinking it might damage the shaft. You pried it out from the top side?

I did mine that way. I pried it out enough to be able to grab it with a pair of small wire cutters.

Thanks for your input. I'll give it a shot. It's raining here tonight so maybe tomorrow or ednesday night after I get out of work. if I can get the pin out without too much trouble the rest of the job looks like it shouldn't take too long. Am I being anoptomist?

The hardest part is taking it off.

Measure the rod distance before you take it off so that you can get the new end on in more or less the same spot. you WILL Need to get it aligned, unless you have calibrated eyeballs.

Got it off and new one in this morning. Worked out just as you said, I pried it off. There were two though. One was like a rivet as you described, the other was a rolled steel pin. I could not get this one out as it had no head on it. I just wrenched it anyway and it sheared off fairly easily. Thanks for your help. All I need now is a front end alignment.

I'm glad you got it off, even with that steel pin in it. I wonder if OEM is with both? That would mean mine had been replaced before.

Back