air ride message on dash( check air system

hyperpiper

Registered
hello and i am new to the club!!
here is my question i have a 93 mark-8 nice car but i just don't understand why ford made it so hard to work on the air-ride system, i purchased this mark and the air-ride worked great, just like it should, me and my son jacked one side up and (did not) turn the switch off for the air-ride.
so we started the car up after we let it down and message center than stated (check air ride system)
we checked a few things but was unable to fix, so i took the car to dealer and after $500.00 they told me that the compressor had to ne replace to the tune of $1,100.00
i said what!!! all i did was jack the car up with out turning off the switch in the trunk!!
they said that the compressor will not (vent)in self!!!
i am sure that there is a easy way to (re-set) the (air ride system)
the car right now setting are ok in front, and a little high in the rear, and message center still reads check air ride system,
any help as to re-setting the system for the air-ride will be very gratefull, thanks jerry

RE: air ride message on dash( check air system

I agree, if your car is a little high in the rear, it could mean that the vent in the compressor assembly is not working properly.

I hope that information is not the only help you got for $500.00 from the dealer.

You can get a rebuilt compressor for around $150.00 from Eddie.

Check out his website. It has great troubleshooting info:

http://www.americanairsuspension.com

Did you jack up the drivers side?If so I will put money on the ride height sensor being snapped.cost about $28

Welcome. Always check here first someone has already come across what you have going with your car. This site, and these great folks here, will save you $$$$$$. Well worth the membership cost.

1. Welcome to the Club!

2. The Air Ride system is not as complicated as you might think. There are mechanical parts and there are high tech electronic parts. And even some of the high tech electronic parts have a basic mechanical function to them. i. e. the ride height sensors.

3. Your Mark is more than ten years old and may actually need a new compressor. However, it may be something else that is less expensive and relatively easy to replace.

4. Since you are getting an error message on the dash, you need to pull the codes in both the hard fault mode and from memory. The Dealer tech should have done that for the $500.00 he charged you. Additionally, he should have changed the oil, rotated the tires, washed and waxed the exterior and shined your shoes. Five hundred for a basic diagnosis seems very high to me.

5. However, he still may have given you a correct diagnosis of the problem. By the way, jacking up the car without turning off the air ride switch should not cause an error message. It was probably a mere coincidence. Turning off the air ride switch is done for safety reasons.

6. Assuming that the diagnosis is correct, replacing the compressor/dryer assembly is a do-it-yourself job. If you are mechanically inclined and have the time, patience and tools, you can save a lot of money by working at home. This site offers plenty of how to tech articles with good pictures.

7. The air ride system is one of the performance aspects of the Mark that make it a great ride. However, with age and use it will require preventive and corrective maintenance. Paying other people to do the corrective maitenance can be a tad expensive.

8. I like the suggestion of the previous reply that it may be a ride height sensor. But, that will require a diagnosis. Make sure all three ride height sensors are properly connected to their mounting points and that the electrical connections are all plugged in. Let us know how you make out. ;)

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
hello and i am new to the club!!here is my question i have a 93 mark-8 nice car but i just don't understand why ford made it so hard to work on the air-ride system, i purchased this mark and the air-ride worked great, just like it should, me and my son jacked one side up and (did not) turn the switch off for the air-ride.so we started the car up after we let it down and message center than stated (check air ride system)we checked a few things but was unable to fix, so i took the car to dealer and after $500.00 they told me that the compressor had to ne replace to the tune of $1,100.00i said what!!! all i did was jack the car up with out turning off the switch in the trunk!!they said that the compressor will not (vent)in self!!!i am sure that there is a easy way to (re-set) the (air ride system)the car right now setting are ok in front, and a little high in the rear, and message center still reads check air ride system,any help as to re-setting the system for the air-ride will be very gratefull, thanks jerry
[/div]

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
hello and i am new to the club!!here is my question i have a 93 mark-8 nice car but i just don't understand why ford made it so hard to work on the air-ride system, i purchased this mark and the air-ride worked great, just like it should, me and my son jacked one side up and (did not) turn the switch off for the air-ride.so we started the car up after we let it down and message center than stated (check air ride system)we checked a few things but was unable to fix, so i took the car to dealer and after $500.00 they told me that the compressor had to ne replace to the tune of $1,100.00i said what!!! all i did was jack the car up with out turning off the switch in the trunk!!they said that the compressor will not (vent)in self!!!i am sure that there is a easy way to (re-set) the (air ride system)the car right now setting are ok in front, and a little high in the rear, and message center still reads check air ride system,any help as to re-setting the system for the air-ride will be very gratefull, thanks jerry
[/div]

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/985.txt

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/986.txt

HELLO AGAIN, AND MANY THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO ABOUT MY CAR AND THE AIR-RIDE SYSTEM, IS THERE ANY WAY TO RE-SET THE SYSTEM!!!IF I UN-PLUG THE AIR LINES AND LET ALL THE AIR OUT AND RE-INSTALL THE LINES WILL THAT MAYBE (RE-SET THE SYSTEM), (MY COMPRESSOR WORKS) WHEN I START UP THE CAR AND I CAN FILL THE REAR GOING UP AND THAN AFTER SAY 90 SECONDS THE CHECK AIR-RIDE COMES ON THE DASH, SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE I AM NOT TOTALLY STUPID JUST TRYING TO GET SOME IDEAS. REGARDS JERRY

The car resets the air ride system when you start the car or turn the key on.

If the check air ride message comes on after 90 seconds, that means that the car isn't raising enough before the time limit.

That could be leaking front air springs and/or a weak compressor.

Have you tried keying off and trying again?

If the message comes on before the front is raised all the way, the system shuts down and no more adjustments are attempted, until the the car is keyed off then on again.

Hope this helps.

Back