Rear spindle bushing replacement

logres

Registered
This is an exhausting job. Much more than one would initially expect. Here are a couple of pointers if you are thinking about doing it:

1. You'll need to remove the entire IRS because one of the lower bushing bolts will only come out if the half axle is removed. Keep this in mind when making plans.

2. Rather than removing the hub from the axle while it is on the car, you can just slide out the entire assembly, all 60 lbs worth, by sliding the axle out of the differential and removing the hub from the axle using a gear puller on a workbench. I did this because one of my axles came out by accident. I don't know much about the inner workings of differentials, but this didn't appear to harm anything and the axle slipped back in as easily as it came out. Mind you that I have an Eaton posi.

3. Sliding the entire assembly back in is tricky. I supported the entire assembly on a jack and slowly slid it into place.

With this, I think I am all urethane now. Rear spindles, sway bar mounts, front end, trans mounts, and diff mounts.

RE: Rear spindle bushing replacement

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
1. You'll need to remove the entire IRS because one of the lower bushing bolts will only come out if the half axle is removed. Keep this in mind when making plans.
[/div]

WHen re-installing this bolt, switch it around so that the nut is on the inside of the spindle. That way you can seperate the spindle from the lca much easier later, if you need to.

...With this, I think I am all urethane now. Rear spindles, sway bar mounts, front end, trans mounts, and diff mounts.
[/div]

Transmission mounts? Or the transmission cross-member bushings? What of the rear differential mount?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]...With this, I think I am all urethane now. Rear spindles, sway bar mounts, front end, trans mounts, and diff mounts.[/div]Transmission mounts? Or the transmission cross-member bushings? What of the rear differential mount?
[/div]

Good questions. I do have the poly differential mounts.

You say the trans mounts and the cross member bushings are two different things? Not sure which is which, but I bought the ones Bill was selling at supercoupeperformance.com when I bought my tranny from him.

Back