How bad do your rotors warp?

Sneth

Registered
The Mark is my daily driver. I do about 15 miles of rush hour a day.

My rotors are warped about every 3 months...
Midas keeps telling me to go easy on the brakes.
Easy on the brakes? this car is heavy, and it needs to stop....

RE: How bad do your rotors warp?

Tell those grease monkeys to hand torque the lugs to spec and do not use an impact wrench.

How many miles are on your car? A lot of times warping problems could be something else desguised as a warped rotor. Like worn out wheel bearing, control arms etc..

yeah i just had the tire rods replaced, new front tires, with a new alignment, so everything should be square.

This is all occuring on the front brakes only of course.

This is a reoccuring problem over 9 months, and they just claim it's from overbraking...

THeir on crack.

I've had the Autozone cheapo rotors for nine months and 12,000 miles (15 miles a day in rush hour) with no warpage. Of course I've also completely rebuilt the front end, so it's running like a new car. I would agree with the other guys here - it looks like something else is going on. Does the car pull left or right at all? If it does, it might indicate a sticking caliper, which would overheat the brakes.

1. I agree with the other posts, your rotors should not warp from normal use.

2. You need to do a complete analysis of the braking system. That means that you need to ensure that the rear brakes are doing their share of the braking.

3. Wheel bearings, upper and lower control arms, and tie rod ends all play a part in the performance of the braking system. Additionally, take a look at the type of pad that is being used.

4. I prefer a ceramic pads because they are usually low dusting and do not require me to clean the wheels every other day. Different pad types will have different performance characteristics and different wear patterns on the rotors.

5. Speaking of rotors, have they been replaced or just turned? Check the run out and make sure they still have enough meat on them.

6. Make sure that the calipers are operating properly. Do they move in and out perfectly straight? If not, they may need re-building or replacing. Make sure the slide pins are tight, but move in and out freely. If they are not tight and have to much play, they will allow the pads to strike the rotors at a slight angle which will cause the pads to wear un-evenly.

7. All of the above can contribute to warped rotors.

8. Lastly, how fast do you drive and how hard to you brake the car? Driving habits can contribute to warped rotors, but if everything is set up properly you should get more than a few months out of the rotors. ;)

Did they also tell you how to break in your new rotors and pads. If you perform a search you will find the article that describes the procedure. One other thing that has typically been found is that the cheap import rotors are way less in meass (ribbing and wall thickness) than some off the more expensive name brands i.e. TRW, and have a tendancy to warp more frequently than the heavier ones. I also can attest to the better value you also get with the Ceramix pads over the semi metallic.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

My rotors are at the end of their second year and still fine.

Go with gen 2 rotors and make sure the front wheels are installed with a torque wrench and NO impact gun.

Ok, this story has taken a rather interesting turn. This has all been done at MIDAS.

-Dropped the car off Friday night(10/14) to have them grind the new rotors back down..for the second time.
-They called 10am saturday(10/15) to tell me it was done. I told them i was out of town for the weekend, and i will come by monday morning.

....this is where everything goes downhill.....

-Monday morning i am at MIDAS to get my car. They tell me their garage is broke, and they cant get my car out. "Sorry, it sucks i know" That is what they tell me. WTF. So luckily I have a motorcycle, and i take that into work.

-Later Monday, they tell me their garage is fixed and i can get my car. Well i was late to work, so now i will be there till after 6pm ( when MIDAS closes). I tell em to lock the keys in the car and i will just use the keypad to get in.

-Monday night I get into my car, put the key in the ignition, and turn. This is what happens: Lights Flash, Computer console tells me the electronics are failing, traction control failure, check systems. I hear a loud clicking like the starter is going at it, but i dont hear anything firing.

So what the EDIT did MIDAS do to my car? I believed the garage door was broke, but now i think they broke my car and were just buying time....

Dead battery. Get some jumper cables and you should be fine.

Might be time for a new battery, though. It shouldn't have died between Friday and Monday

bad ground then

classic symptom of low voltage. really the only thing that could cause everything you just described is low voltage. alternator isn't in play without the engine running. battery has to be dead, shorted, or have a bad connection.

At one point in a thunderbird i had a bad fuel pump relay, the fuel pump would keep running after i shut the car off and eventually kill the battery.

Many Mark owners have had problems with warped front rotors and some of these owners drive sensibly.

And as far as the advice from that white paper:
I just replaced my front rotors with Powerstops and used VGX pads, both bought from Summit. The rotors came with a breakin recommendation of braking gently for 200 to 500 miles. The pads came with a breakin recommendation of 10 gentle stops from 25 mph to seat the pads.
Believe what you please.

Ok Final result, and this hurts a lot.

Timing chain tensioner is weakened/broke/destroyed

$4500 repair.

i owe $6000 on the car still...

wtf...

Ford engineering....yum...

i have no idea what to do.....

Do you have a record of how many miles were on the car when you dropped it off and now. Some yahoo may have taken it down the road and beat on it.

Get a reputable garage to properly diagnose your problem.

EDIT - no ebay links allowed

The link is for some performance rotors that I just bought today. Shoot me a email in a week and I will let you know how well they work and what the difference from the stock rotors.

Alex

Back