Need Help - Suspension problems/noises

Ye_Lunatic

Registered
My 94 now has 201,000 miles on it. The only things I have replaced suspension-wise are the tie rods, upper control arms, the front air struts and the rear struts.

Not surprisingly my car makes AWFUL noises when I go over bumps. Everything sounds loose in the front and back. I attribute this to 2 factors:

1. The fact that I unfortunately got Arnott air struts for the front. They froze up a long time ago and as a result my ride is stiff and the front end gets hammered everytime I go over a bump. (Arnott never returned my emails)

2. Age/mileage.

The other problem is that my car seems to sway on the highway. I checked the rear sway bar and it is solid, but the rear driver's side tire wobbles when I grab it and shake it. I also get horrible squeeking noises coming from that wheel when I make slow left turns.

I would like to know what suspension components should be replaced at this mileage, and what could be causing this wobbly, squeeky rear wheel?

At this point, I am afraid to drive car, as am getting images of a lower control arm or bolt breaking at 70mph and me spinning off the highway in a wreck, or causing a 100 car pile-up.

Please help!

RE: Need Help - Suspension problems/noises

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
The other problem is that my car seems to sway on the highway. I checked the rear sway bar and it is solid, but the rear driver's side tire wobbles when I grab it and shake it. I also get horrible squeeking noises coming from that wheel when I make slow left turns.[/div]

DON'T DRIVE YOUR CAR!!! :eek: You wheel(s) may potentially fall off. Replace the FRONT HUBS ASAP! Also check for play in the rear hubs.

Well, you need to keep going. Remove the rotor to determine whether the issue is with the rear hub asssembly or the CV half-shaft assembly or both.

Replace the rear hub as a start, sounds like you need lots of new parts to me.

Back