Air Struts

mag1119

Registered
Question: I have a leak in my front passenger air strut. In the mornings sometimes I find the front passenger side slammed, other times not, and sometimes both front sides slammed. If the leak is on one side, would that cause them both to slam? 1997 LSC. In any case, I'm going to replace both struts to be sure. I was just curious.
Mark

RE: Air Struts

Yes. It takes 100+ psi in both struts to raise the front. If one of them drops to a point where it can no longer support the weight of the front end, the car drops. If you measure the height difference between both sides, the lower side will be the one that is causing the leak. Assuming both sides are not leaking and you are on level ground.

Kale

Thanks, Kale.
Can't wait to make the change so I don't have to deal with this anymore.

Mark

1. Do not assume that your strut(s) are leaking. You should verify that they are leaking first. Electronic components could also cause this problem.

2. I would start the engine and allow the vehicle to come up to full curb height. Once curb height is obtained, shut off the air ride switch in the trunk. Do not turn the air ride switch back on until after the following test. Drive the car as normal and shut it off at night and wait to see if the car lowers. If it maintains its curb height overnight and for a few days, you probobly do not have a leaking bag.

3. If no leak is detected, you may have an electronic fault. You will need a NewGen Star tester and a multi meter and run the self test and pull any codes from the memeory. Of course, you may need to go to a Dealer to have the electronic diagnosis performed. Good luck!

Go to www.americanairsuspension.com and you'll find more info than anywhere else. All sorts of info and diagnosis data from a Ford trained tech who has now gone into business for himself.
His name is Eddie Spinks and he is a first rate person whom I have met personally. Not many places can even come close to him on service, before or after sale and even if you bought from someone else.
His prices are reasonable and his advice is from personal knowledge. I can't even think of going to anyone else for air suspension advice or parts.
From all the horror stories about Arnott and their sorry parts and non-existent customer service, I would avoid them like the plague!
EDDIE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I just finished changing over to the coil conversion kit on my 94 mark. I have never been so happy! Strutmasters make a super simple kit and it takes about an hour a shock to do the project. Make sure you have the a deep socket set or you could be in trouble, and your tire tool actually works well on the torsion bar nuts inside your front wheel well.

Q

Hello, D.O.M. and Red Box Rebel,

Thanks as usual for the responses. I went to Eddie's website, and also e-mailed back and forth a bit. Did all the requsite testing, and sure enough, the strut was leaking. The leak was just getting worse, and it kept slamming more and more. I learned from Eddie just how and where the leaks occur, and until my replacement arrived, I was able to help the car some by just starting it and manually helping to lift it past the more stressful lifting point. That would buy me a couple of days at a time. However, I have replaced the strut and all is well again. If anyone has read some of my posts elsewhere on this site, you'll see that I had another contributing factor. Once, I let water get in the driver's side window, and the car couldn't tell if the door was opened or closed, so it was slamming itself at night when no one was watching. It was constantly searching for the right height,(not being able to tell if the door was opened or not) and that just added more wear on the strut. I have a '97, so age is ALWAYS a factor, too. Hey, all you have to do is own your Mark long enough, and it will only be a matter of time. I replaced the strut, all is fine and I call myself fortunate that is as far as it had to go.

Back