Urethane front stuff?

RE: Urethane front stuff?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Is it the same as the Super Coupe? They don't list it for the MK8.
[/div]

www.rockauto.com has everything you need, though there has been some discussion as to the quality of the MOOG rod-to-frame bushing set.

I personally did not have a problem with it after I hacked off a 1/4" from the metal sleeves. If you see some photos of mangled sleeves on this or other sites, it is because MOOG made them too long. What happens is that when you or the suspension shop tightens down on the lock nut, the sleeves must be compressed (mangled) before you hit the specified torque for that bolt. And knowing how shops like to hit everything with 250 ftlbs, it's no wonder they get destroyed.

Is it the same as the Super Coupe? They don't list it for the MK8.
[/div]

Talk to Bill at SuperCoupePerformance. If they're not the same I'm sure he can get them.

I'm not sure you want poly bushings on the front. Seems to me the general concensus is to stay with the rubber on the front suspension?

Seems to me the general concensus is to stay with the rubber on the front suspension?
[/div]

Two camps rather than consensus.

One camp feels that although there are some suspicious MOOG parts floating around out there, urethane performes better and lasts longer than rubber.

The other camp feels that urethane makes too much noise, though some folks, along with myself, have a perfectly quiet front end with all MOOG urethane parts.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]Seems to me the general concensus is to stay with the rubber on the front suspension?[/div]Two camps rather than consensus.One camp feels that although there are some suspicious MOOG parts floating around out there, urethane performes better and lasts longer than rubber.The other camp feels that urethane makes too much noise, though some folks, along with myself, have a perfectly quiet front end with all MOOG urethane parts.
[/div]

MOOG is not urethane it's thermoplastic and it doesn't squeek.

There is no camps, just simple facts. The sleeve length has nothing to do with it. My info is based on 7 different Marks I've seen with MOOG crap without even mentioning countless t-birds and cougars.

Go with stock or mn12performance poly set.

I have definitely seen pics of destroyed moog bushings in the past, although it wasn't until after I replaced mine. Mine have been on for about a year and I haven't had any problems.....yet.

One things I did notice while fixing my car from the accident I had, the rear moog strut rod bushings aren't thick enough. I noticed about a 1/16-1/32 gap between the bushings and the LCA when I was doing a eye ball alignment. So I proceeded to tighten the rear strut rod bushing nuts only to discover that they were already to the bottom of the threads. I took one of the rear washers off of my parts car and double stacked it to take up the space and allow the bushings to actually be squeezed. It worked, no more space.

Although I couldn't hear or see any movement from outside the car it was definitely visible from under it. I also hit the brakes a few times while going in reverse and put the car back on ramps and saw the space was now on the other side of the LCA, they were definately moving.

I would definitely recomend going with poly or ford bushings. The moogs just seem to have some deep rooted problems with physical dimensions and material properties. They just seem too damn hard, they don't give at all. Anyway, that's my story.

First, thanks for all the input. I have run urethane in many, many cars of my own, and installed lots in my customers cars. I have never had any squeak. I use the special grease that seems to always be supplied with the bushing and I have never had any problems. I woul like to go with the urethane. I wouldn't install a Moog part on one of my cars if you payed me! When Fed-Mog bought them out and started reboxing import crap the whole line went to hell. Moog used to be the best stuff around back when I was working auto parts ('92-'95ish) but now, forget about it! So, is the mn12perf stuff urethane? How about the supercoupe stuff? Thanks for the help.-Dave

Back