Air Suspension Malfunction

zcarr

Registered
Hi,

I have a 1996 Mark VIII. Recently, with the weather change(cold), the air struts don't raise. In fact, in the morning the car is on the ground and doesn't raise. I get the error "Check Air Ride" after a minute or so. Once the weather warm up, the car raise up like normal.

anyone have any idea why they may be happening.:(

RE: Air Suspension Malfunction

1. Ambient temperature should not cause an air ride malfunction.

2. When you receive an error message from the message center, you should pull the codes. Yes that means that will have to use a scan tool like the NewGen Star Tester and a multi-meter.

3. The tech will need to run a key on engine off test to check for hard faults. If he receives codes 11s, (system OK) then he will have to pull the codes from memory.

4. Before taking to a qualified tech, try the following.

a. If the system pumps up, drive the vehicle and allow it to cycle through the various positions.

b. Once you are convinced that the vehicle is either at curb height or at its high speed height, open the trunk and turn off the air ride switch.

c. leave the air ride switch off and drive the car as you normally would. Leave the switch off for a few days and see if the system lowers completely as if there were no air at all in the bags. You know, completely collapsed.

d. if the system maintains it height and does not collapse, you should be able to eleiminate leaks and/or mechanical failures.

e. if the system collapses, you have an airbag problem which will probably require replacement of the bags.

5. Once your hard parts are deemed to be ok, your problem will most likely be found in the electronics of the system. To determine the culprit, you will need to perform the EEC tests and pull the memory codes, if any, to properly diagnose the problem. :)

RE: Air Suspension Malfunction

I suspect that you have water in your system as well. Go to eddie's site and go thru the diagnostics, you can also call eddie as he is the man.:) :)

Back