Flaming River U-Joint to replace stock rag joint?

D

Dominus

I have heard that some people have replaced their stock rag joint with a flaming river U-Joint. How is this done, and what parts would I need?

RE: Flaming River U-Joint to replace stock rag joint?

It's pretty easy. It will give you better steering feel and more clearance for headers.

there is a bolt holding the rag joint to the shaft and another bolt holding it on the rack. remove both and pry to remove. do the opposite to reinstall. DO NOT turn the wheels or the steering wheel with the rag joint unhooked, unless you want to buy a new clockspring assembly for the air bag.

The p/n for the flaming river joint is FLA-FR1715DD according to a quick search of the board. You will also need a short length of DD shaft, but you may be able to cut that off the old rag joint. Or you can buy it with the steering joint as i did. you need to take a piece of that and stick it in the one side of the rag joing and tighten the setscrews down on it. drill a hole in the appropriate spot on the flat to accept the screw that holds it to the steering shaft. you'll see what i mean when you get into it.

Yes I'm running one also for longtube header clearance issues. I was going to post how to do it untill i read the above post. Pretty much sums it up.
Here is some pics of my old steering shaft coupler. The Flaming river comes with two female ends and our units have one female and one male end. So one end you will need to make a D shaft insert for it like he says.

Is this something I'm going to need with the Kooks 3/4 length headers?

yup, I did it to mine although I don't have headers.........yet, but it's easy and the steering feel alone is worth it.

Awesome. I will definitely have to perform this mod.

Back