Air ride help

mlt2

Registered
Hello, My " Check air ride light " is on in my 1998 mark VIII LSC. I was stopped on a hill at a red light. The car started to lev it's self but about half way thru it the check air ride light came on. Now the front end is MAXXED out big time. Looks like a 4X4 mark VIII. The rear end is setting about right. maybe a bit low. it;s been like this now for about 16 days. ( So I dont think I have a leak in any thing). When I turn the key on and start the car I get a check air ride light about 3 to 5 secounds later. I have read on this site that it means it's an "hard fault" I guess what I am asking is. Does anyone know what might cause this? The front end is maxxed out so I was thinking it could be a ride hight sensor? I have call everyone around my area and no one can pull a code for me! I have even tolded by one dealership you can't pull codes from it LOL. I am sure you can tho. Any help or idea I would love to hear!!!
Thanks Mike T.
1998 Mark VIII LSC

RE: Air ride help

Park it on level ground, and visually inspect the sensors (make sure they're hooked up at both ends).

that's all i can really think of that would cause that...

If the front sensors look ok, pull the battery negative off for
20 sec. which will do a "hard reset" of the ride control.
Then get in, shut the door and start it up to see if it re-levels.

Mel C.
93 garnet/grey
Garage Queen

Well I just pulled the battery and checked the senors. They all look good. I even took the front one's off and looked at them good. it still will not do any thing. I have called all the shops from about 60 miles away. No one has a code reader to test this system. I know it's something really smiple. there is no way it's a leak the car is still up now after 17 days hehe. if the front end would drop down a few inches I would be ok LOL. I was also told I could let the air off the front shocks and maybe that will fix it?
Thanks
Mike T.
1998 Mark VIII LSC

I can only fathom the vent solenoid is stuck and will not vent. The airbag solenoids open along with the vent solenoid to lower the car.

From the second link previously posted...

Yes, you can use your code reader. The Diagnostic Pigtail for the Air Suspension is at the RF, next to the air filter box. Your code reader will not pull a code.

***Suspension on and the ignition on. Plug the reader into the pigtail and turn to test...the run/test function will begin. The sequence will be: Valves; LF, RF then Both rear valves. Then the vent valve of the compressor, then a short cycle of the compressor. Then the compressor will begin a longer air up of the front end to check the front height sensors.

If the test stops at any enent, there is a problem at that event (valve/harness, vent valve, compressor, height sensor). The test will not go past that part until it is corrected.

You can also run the self test without a code reader.

Just connect pin 2 (STI, self test input) of the diagnostic pigtail to battery ground.

I usually use a test light as the "jumper wire" just in case I hit the wrong pin..:)

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
You can also run the self test without a code reader.Just connect pin 2 (STI, self test input) of the diagnostic pigtail to battery ground.I usually use a test light as the "jumper wire" just in case I hit the wrong pin..:)
[/div]

So all I have to do is connect pin 2 to the neg battery ground? Will that flash a light or some thing? Also what type of test light are you talking about? Just a volt test light? On a good note 18 days and the car is still up. That is one good thing at least LOL. I really hate to get rid of the system over this "small thing"

Mike T.
1998 Mark VIII LSC

It's just a 12 volt test light. It looks like a screwdriver with a wire connected to it. It has a light inside the handle. When the wire is connected to battery ground and the "screwdriver" end or actually, the pointy probe end, is connected to anything with volts positive, the light glows.

The reason I use the test light is, that it will connect the pin to ground just like a straight wire will. But if you accidentally connect to the wrong pin, no harm done, It just lights.

When you connect it to pin 2, it won't light, but it will go through the self test steps like driller said.

I'll post a photo of it connected soon.

Thanks!! I am on lunch now but I am going to try it when I get off work today :). It will be great to get my mark back to normal. It's driving ok but looks really bad.
thanks Mike T.
1998 Mark VIII LSC

I got the self test run and this is what I came up with. The test allways stop right after the compressor pumps up. So does this mean the Height sensor is bad? If so does it mean the front ( the pair ) or the rear ( single )? thanks for all the help :).
Mike T.
1998 Mark VIII LSC

I just ran the test on my car.

After the front and rear solenoids click, the vent valve at the compressor should open and you should hear it vent the air from the airlines.

Did you hear this? This tells you that the solenoids opened and the vent valve works.

The next thing is the compressor runs.

After the compressor runs, the front solenoids and the vent valve open and the front of the car lowers. Did this happen?

If the car didn't lower, then there is something wrong with the venting, you might have a stuck vent valve in the compressor.

This sounds logical because you said that your car was too high anyway.

Back