Air ride help ( last time )

mlt2

Registered
Hello, well I took my car into the shop so they could pull a code. The hooked it up to the computer and they said it would not "Talk with my air ride system" They said it was my air ride computer bad. The compter was going to cost 700.00!!!!! So I took the car home I got a "good control unit from a junked mark VIII. It did the same thing!!! So here is what it does. When the key is turned on in the car I get a Check air ride light" It's a hard fault I get it in less than 5 secs. I have tryed the self test and this is what it does. I get a click from the front of the car. i guess it's the front vents. Then I hear the click from the rear ( I guess that is the rear vents ) Then the compressor runs for a short while. then......... nothing the test stops. nothing else. please I am at the end of my rope. I hate to do the coil springs.
thanks Mike T.
1998 LSC mark VIII

RE: Air ride help ( last time )

All I know is the standard "computer" at the dealer communicates with the PCM and not the suspension. There is a separate diagnostic connector for the air suspension and a separate diagnostic tester for this specific purpose. I'm pretty sure this is for the Gen2 as well as the Gen1.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I have tryed the self test and this is what it does. I get a click from the front of the car. i guess it's the front vents. Then I hear the click from the rear ( I guess that is the rear vents ) Then the compressor runs for a short while. then......... nothing the test stops. nothing else.
[/div]

I just re-read your other thread and in particular the following post by Bill...

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I just ran the test on my car.

After the front and rear solenoids click, the vent valve at the compressor should open and you should hear it vent the air from the airlines.

Did you hear this? This tells you that the solenoids opened and the vent valve works.

The next thing is the compressor runs.

After the compressor runs, the front solenoids and the vent valve open and the front of the car lowers. Did this happen?

If the car didn't lower, then there is something wrong with the venting, you might have a stuck vent valve in the compressor.

This sounds logical because you said that your car was too high anyway.[/div]

Sounds to me like the vent solenoid is stuck?

From Eddie at http://www.americanairsuspension.com/HARD FAULT.htm ...

HARD FAULT?
Your air suspension system goes through a quick self-test after the key is turned on. If at this time the module notices something way out of range, it will turn on the light and shut the system down. Until the ignition switch or suspension switch is turned off, then back on, it won't even attempt to go any further.

This problem maybe a sensor, module, shorted vent solenoid, short in the wiring, or anything that the module really needs to make adjustments.

I know its expensive to have the codes pulled at a shop, but its going to get MORE expensive throwing parts at your car. Keep in mind that most parts places won't take back electrical parts!

That along with your self test results tell me to suspect a shorted vent solenoid or solenoid wiring?

Have you seen this? http://www.americanairsuspension.com/scan loaner.htm

Well what gets me is the car clicks and the car will lower. the self test stops after the compressor runs for a short while. I can feel the car lower. the front has lowed more than the rear. maybe a rear vent stuck? thanks again for all the help.

Either the place you took it to didn't have a compatable scanner, they didn't know how to use it.....or like was said earlier, they might have tried to hook it up to the EEC connector instead of the suspension connector. Even with a compatable scanner, if you don't know what your doing, it won't give you a code. You have to know where to get the code. Its not as simple as plugging it in and waiting for the code(s) to pop up.

BTW, if the problem is a venting problem, the light would come on 45 seconds after the module tried to vent the system. If the light is coming on less than 45 seconds after the key is turned on, it is a hard fault. This could be a sensor, the wiring, or about a dozen other things. You will need to have the code(s) pulled to know where to start. If you would like, I have a loaner Rotunda Super Star II tester you can borrow. http://www.americanairsuspension.com/scan loaner.htm Let me know.

Back