are my Front Wheel Bearings going out?

Chad

Registered
When I first start moving the car forward I hear a thumpity thumpity sounds coming from the front left wheel. If I gently apply the brakes it gets worse more like a bump bump bump bump. If I press more firmly, it gets worse. I'm not sure what's worse than bump bump bump bump but I'm sure there's something and that's it. ;) If I turn right, it seems to be noticable as well. After the car gets warmed up it's not usually as bad but once in a while the noise remains after going 10 miles or so. Where can I get some new wheel bearings? Someone have a part number and source? Is it something I can manage myself assuming I know how to remove the tires, rotors and such? On a scale of 1-10, 1 being a flippin moron and 10 being a 5 star mechanic, I'm about a 5. I can change a carb, install a stereo, replace a water pump...

Chad

RE: are my Front Wheel Bearings going out?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
When I first start moving the car forward I hear a thumpity thumpity sounds coming from the front left wheel. If I gently apply the brakes it gets worse more like a bump bump bump bump. If I press more firmly, it gets worse. I'm not sure what's worse than bump bump bump bump but I'm sure there's something and that's it. ;) If I turn right, it seems to be noticable as well. After the car gets warmed up it's not usually as bad but once in a while the noise remains after going 10 miles or so. Where can I get some new wheel bearings? Someone have a part number and source? Is it something I can manage myself assuming I know how to remove the tires, rotors and such? On a scale of 1-10, 1 being a flippin moron and 10 being a 5 star mechanic, I'm about a 5. I can change a carb, install a stereo, replace a water pump... Chad
[/div]

Usually wheel bearings lock up when they go bad. But unless you are going over uneven ground, I'm not sure what else could be causing the noise, save for something actually rolling around INSIDE the tire. That or the plastic wheel well shielding has come loose and is rubbing against your tire. Or loose lug nuts.

Jack the car up and feel each wheel. Not only roll the wheel but also try to rock back and forth with hands at 3 and 9 o'clock and then at 12 and 6 o'clock. You should be able to feel a bad bearing.

Thanks guys.. sorry I posted this in Drivetrain when it's a steering/suspension question. ;)

Chad

Thanks guys.. sorry I posted this in Drivetrain when it's a steering/suspension question. ;)Chad
[/div]

Sorry I didn't catch it til you said something. :+

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]Thanks guys.. sorry I posted this in Drivetrain when it's a steering/suspension question. ;)Chad[/div]Sorry I didn't catch it til you said something. :+
[/div]

Where's the sleeping smilie when you need one... ;)

doesn't sound like a wheel bearing to me

could easily be something in the brakes

I'm going to try turning the rotors first... I think they may just be warped. -- Can someone tell me what size socket I need to get the brake caliper off?

Chad

Thanks... all I have are !*@#&#@ cheap sockets because I'm always loosing them. haha

Chad

A pretty simple front wheel bearing test is to listen for a change in noise when turning to the left or right at a low speed. When you turn the wheel, you should hear a diffence. If there is no difference, chances are it's something else. If I'm not mistaken, wheel bearings are part of the hub assembly. You might not be able to buy them separately. If they are really bad, you can tell with the car jacked when you spin the wheel. Compare both sides.

Well with the car jacked it's difficult to spin the wheel. Not extremely difficult but it's not exactly easy. Seems like I have to put an effort into it.

I had the rotors turned and put them back on. Now I have a squeek squeek coming from the driver's wheel except when I press the brakes slightly. I still have the bump bump bump when I am driving and press the brakes slightly. The wheel now shakes a little as if the wheel is out of balance. I think the squeek and the shaking might indicate something other than the brakes are the culprit. Is is possible for the hub to get bent or warped or anything like that? I have no idea how that'd happen as I haven't hit anything.

Looks like hubs are about $110 each.

Chad

... Is is possible for the hub to get bent or warped or anything like that? I have no idea how that'd happen as I haven't hit anything.Looks like hubs are about $110 each.Chad
[/div]

Short answer - yes. You may want to find a shop that will do a high speed spin balance on the vehicle... that would detect any problems with a hub/rotor assembly. There used to be a lot of hoopla over 'yellow studs' and their meaning of balance on the hub/rotor/wheel assembly. Bottom line is our vehicles are more susceptible than most to NVH issues.

Interesting.
I took the brake caliper off today and noticed that I could put it right back on.. without depressing the cylinder. So... with the caliper off the brake disc, I pressed the pedal.
The cylinder barely moved but I did get it to pump out about 1/8-1/4". I then proceeded to try pushing it back into the caliper. It would not budge. I had to use a table vice to get the cylinder back into the caliper. I reinstalled it on the car, bled the brakes and drove it. It seems a bit better but still squeeks. I think it's squeeking because when I had the rotors turned they cut off a new surface all the way down to about 1/2" from the center hub hole. That is rubbing about 1/4" on the bottom of the pad putting a groove into the pad so eventually that sound should go away. However, the fact that it was difficult to move the brake cylinder confuses me. Shouldn't it be easier to move? Especially when it's completely disconnected from the car and empty of any fluid?

Can someone go to rockauto.com and tell me which calipers I need? There's a LOT of stuff listed there. (or someplace else) -- Assuming this is the issue. Driller? Ideas?

Chad

You're describing a sticky caliper.

Usual procedure is a c-clamp to depress the piston back(for the front calipers). But it should move relatively freely without binding. Depressing the brake with the caliper off the rotor should've been a cake walk. The pedal should've been relatively 'soft' and the piston should've moved easily.

All the front calipers for the Mark VIII are basically the same. Make sure you get the correct side(I prefer to replace in pairs) and specify they are front calipers(the rears are different and cost more). Almost all are remanufactured. When it comes to brakes, I prefer MotorCraft or Bendix.

You need Motorcraft Part Numbers BRC32RM(Front Left and BRC33RM(Front Right).

I have differing opinions on rotors. The majority of the time I've been told one of my vehicles needs rotors, I leave the place of business immediately and investigate myself at my convenience. I will invariably find the rotor thickness and runout are within specs. I simply 'sand' or scuff up the rotor with a 3m scotchbrite pad. I will sometimes replace a set of brakepads. I think I've actually replaced 2 calipers my entire life. I've rebuilt more than a couple. I will almost always disassemble, inspect and do needed repairs for a fraction of the original quote.

Thanks Driller. Yah I tried a c-clamp on the piston and it wouldn't budge with all my effort. I put it in a vice to push it back into the caliper housing and I had to REALLY crank down on the vice to get it to go back in. I'll get new calipers and send the hubs back (that I ordered before I pulled off the caliper and found it sticking).

Chad

The big winner was a stuck front left brake caliper. I replaced both front calipers and it's fine now. Thanks guys!

Chad

The big winner was a stuck front left brake caliper. I replaced both front calipers and it's fine now. Thanks guys!Chad
[/div]

Glad to hear you solved your issues. :)

Well I couldn't have done it without all the help from the board.
Driller, if you lived closer to me I think I'd be spending a lot of time prying knowledge from your brain! Thanks for saving me some cash.

Chad

doesn't sound like a wheel bearing to me

could easily be something in the brakes
[/div]

Quoted for an "i told you so"

Back