Lowering mod: has anyone tried this?

deadbugdug

Registered
I've read the posts on drilling a new hole in the lower mount bracket (front suspension) and raising the bracket, but has anyone tried elongating the hole that the lower ball stud goes through?

Looking my car over, I see the hole is already elongated somewhat, but moving the ball to the top of the hole may not be enough for me. It looks like there's enough material there to work with to extend the hole upwards.

With the sensor disconnected from the lower ball and the suspension hanging, I completely compressed the sensor and it did not compress very far. I don't want to move things so far that I'll crush the sensor when I put the car back on the ground, and elongating the hole would give more adjustment possibilities than putting a fixed hole in the bracket, not to mention still using 2 bolts to hold the bracket instead of just 1 thru the new hole you drilled.

Am I overlooking something here?

Thanks..........

RE: Lowering mod: has anyone tried this?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I've read the posts on drilling a new hole in the lower mount bracket (front suspension) and raising the bracket, but has anyone tried elongating the hole that the lower ball stud goes through?Looking my car over, I see the hole is already elongated somewhat, but moving the ball to the top of the hole may not be enough for me. It looks like there's enough material there to work with to extend the hole upwards.With the sensor disconnected from the lower ball and the suspension hanging, I completely compressed the sensor and it did not compress very far. I don't want to move things so far that I'll crush the sensor when I put the car back on the ground, and elongating the hole would give more adjustment possibilities than putting a fixed hole in the bracket, not to mention still using 2 bolts to hold the bracket instead of just 1 thru the new hole you drilled.Am I overlooking something here?Thanks..........
[/div]

No, you pretty much got it.

This is how I lowered my car. I used a dramel to cut the slot all the way through to the top of the bracket (it still remains quite strong). You do have to use an intermediate bracket with an extra set of nuts and bolts, but you can lower the car as low as you want with no damage to anything. The lowering ratio is about 4 to 1 (adjust the sensor by 1/4" and the car goes down a full inch). So adjusting the sensor by a full inch will pretty much slam the car.

Wonderful! I'm not knocking the other method of relocating the whole bracket, but this one seems to give more control over precise adjustment, and I won't have to worry about stretching the speed sensor (?) cable.

Last night as I was installing new air springs & a spider valve (what fun -- I mean the air springs. The spider valve was actually enjoyable), I dug into the bracket problem and did almost exactly what you suggested, except I didn't cut the top out of the bracket. I removed material up to the lip of the bracket with the Dremel. I haven't set the car on the ground yet to see where it falls, but I moved the ball up at least 1/4" from its original location. The permanent washer on the ball touches the upper lip of the bracket, and I figured I can shave down the top of the washer to move it up a fraction higher. I never thought about a "bracket extender" as you suggested, but if I don't get satisfactory results, then I will follow your lead.

The good news is, I do have an extra set of brackets and balls (be nice) so I have more than one chance to screw this up!

Thanks again......

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Wonderful! I'm not knocking the other method of relocating the whole bracket, but this one seems to give more control over precise adjustment, and I won't have to worry about stretching the speed sensor (?) cable.Last night as I was installing new air springs & a spider valve (what fun -- I mean the air springs. The spider valve was actually enjoyable), I dug into the bracket problem and did almost exactly what you suggested, except I didn't cut the top out of the bracket. I removed material up to the lip of the bracket with the Dremel. I haven't set the car on the ground yet to see where it falls, but I moved the ball up at least 1/4" from its original location. The permanent washer on the ball touches the upper lip of the bracket, and I figured I can shave down the top of the washer to move it up a fraction higher. I never thought about a "bracket extender" as you suggested, but if I don't get satisfactory results, then I will follow your lead.The good news is, I do have an extra set of brackets and balls (be nice) so I have more than one chance to screw this up!Thanks again......
[/div]

It's tough to screw up, but be careful with the ball screws; the ball breaks off fairly easily if you tighten it down too much. I've done it and had to retap a stud in there. Tighten it up to the minimum you feel will hold the sensor in place. I'm not sure if the shop manual has a spec for that ball-stud. Maybe someone will chime in.

Back