Oilpan and Oil Filter adapter gasket R/R

DieselDan

Registered
Hey guys,
I don't post over here much, but I know this is a good place, so I wanted to contribute. I just pasted this here from LvC...

I am working on Rich's son's 93 Mark. We worked out a deal and next thing I know, his car is at my house and I'm getting ready to R/R an oil pan and an oil filter adapter gasket. This is that old silver car that Jamie's wife was driving that had the bad fuel pump... anywho. I'm trying to do this to be a writeup if anyone else needs to do one. It is a lot of work, all of this was done in one day.

Here is the car;
d4a0bb6a.jpg

These are the tools I brought home to do the job;
DSC_4145.jpg

Just a few shots before I begin;
DSC_4142.jpg

DSC_4143.jpg

Engine Cover Removed;
DSC_4144.jpg

This is my engine support bar, just some 1 1/4" steel pipe and 2x4;
The Alternator has been removed and the chain is attached to the engine using the 2 lower alternator mounting bolts. Later on, I will jack the engine up a little from underneath and readjust my chains so that it has more tension on it.
DSC_4146.jpg

Removed LH side wheel.
DSC_4147.jpg

Removed the 2 8mm bolts holding the EDIS module, and the 3 13mm nuts holding the top of the strut.
DSC_4148.jpg

Removed the RH wheel and removed the 3 13mm nuts holding the RH strut.
DSC_4149.jpg

Knocked the upper control arm off of the spindle, and removed the caliper so that it stays with the body of the car when the cradle is dropped.
DSC_4150.jpg

Same with the RH side;
DSC_4151.jpg

These are a few pictures of the underside of the car;
DSC_4154.jpg

DSC_4155.jpg

DSC_4161.jpg

DSC_4166.jpg

946b6fcd.jpg

You will need to unbolt the rag joint in the steering column. I removed the 13mm bolt closest to the rack and then pushed the steering column shaft up into the car.
DSC_4162.jpg

I jacked the engine up using a 2x4 under the crank pulley and tightened my engine bar chains so that it was actually supporting the engine before I dropped the cradle.
4100f3a6.jpg

I skipped a few pictures, I will try to snap them tomorrow and add them to this post. All that needs to be removed at this point now is to unbolt the power steering hose from the cradle retainers, remove the 2 13mm motor mount bolts (the LH one is accessed by the LH catalytic converter, and the RH side is accessed under the A/C compressor) and remove the 8 inverted torx bolts that hold the cradle to the car. I used a 14mm 6point impact socket. It worked perfectly.

Dropping the cradle; I used both jacks lowering them each simultaneously to evenly lower it.
22d8f3d9.jpg

b7d670ca.jpg

I also noticed that the car had a leaking p/s pressure hose, I will be replacing this, it is cake with the cradle down.
219664bb.jpg

For those new to the Mark VIII, this is a very good picture of what the oil filter adapter looks like. Coolant AND oil flow through this adapter, so you will need to catch both when you crack the bolts loose. The housing is held on with 4, 10mm bolts.
19c29522.jpg

2a553484.jpg

Next I began removing the oil pan bolts, they are 10mm.
9d760bed.jpg

My small pile of parts;
2967e3c4.jpg

New gasket lying on the pan. The pan had zero sludge in it, you are seeing some brake cleaner sprayed in the pan in that picture.
5db13abb.jpg

dc029791.jpg

e80c3ea9.jpg

Here is the pan reinstalled, I torqued the 10mm bolts to 22 ft-lb. I cleaned it the best I could. I didn't realize it was rusty and had no way to strip it an paint it at the location I was, so I just degreased it and reinstalled it.
b38d75d0.jpg

f27aba60.jpg

Ziptied the harness back up on the LH side of the pan.
35228a48.jpg

At this point, the engine is reassembled. I sent my wife to the store to get a new p/s line. AZ, Advance auto, and the dealer didn't have the line in stock. My wife drove a little out of the ways to a pep boys that had the line.
a740eb47.jpg

I installed the hose now since the cradle is lying under the car, and it will reach. It sucks to install that hose with the cradle installed, gotta have carnie hands to get to the hose on the rack.

This is how the car sat at the end of the day, we had dinner reservations at 5:20 and I really needed to get cleaned up. Everything is finished, just need to reinstall the sub frame and continue on.
bdeab802.jpg

I'm gonna wrap it up tomorrow, more pictures to come.

Just a picture from Dinner.
17c2dd7e.jpg

This is me and my son Gage, he is 5months old today :D We went to the Yachtsman Steakhouse. Its a restaurant at Disney's Yacht club. Working for Disney has its perks, 4 of us ate for 50% off and the bill was still $158 with the tip, lol. Had a 16oz Rib Eye, pretty awesome... was feeling too fat to slide back under the car for the night.

Back