Brake Booster Problem?

rickd

Registered
I saw a post from 2003 about this problem and it wasn't really resolved. This post is long to give an accurate desciption of my problem.

My 1995 LSC I bought 4 months ago had an intermittent problem when I press on the brake pedal. The brakes would work but lose pedal travel (go halfway down) for a brief second and act like the anti-lock is coming on. I would lift my foot and full brake travel and the brakes worked like normal.

The master cylinder checked out fine. 1 month after I bought the car, I replaced ALL calipers, rotors and pads (the pads were shot, ruined the front calipers), but still had the same intermittent problem after the replacements.

Last week, I was driving and put on the brakes and immediately I had no brake boost. No power brakes anymore. The pedal is very hard to press, but the car will stop. Even holding down the pedal it stays firm where it is. So there is no leak or bad master cylinder.

If I am at idle and hold the brake pedal down, two things happen. There is a hissing sound from inside the car from the firewall, and the engine will lope (rpm up and down) and lunge the car forward. If I take my foot off the brake, the engine will idle normally.

I took the vacumn hose off the booster check valve and there is strong suction from the engine. I replaced the booster check valve since it was only $9 hoping that would do it.

The brake fluid is really dirty. Not clear at all. New fluid was put in when the brake were done.

My question is:
Is this a description of a bad brake booster? Another vacumn hose I didn't check? Or is there another area for me to look?
Can I do the brake booster myself? If so, how?

Thanks

RE: Brake Booster Problem?

when you replaced every thing did they cycle the abs pump this has to be done to bleed properly

Hmmm...
I did not know to ask when the brake work was done.
A very good question.
The work was done at Pep Boys here in the Los Angeles area. Somehow, I think they did not know to do so.

i think it has to hooked to a dealer computer to cycle the pump to bleed the brakes fully

it could be air in the line but it sounds like it needs flushed any way

have you tried a differnt brake booster if you think that is the problem

I wish I could get pics of the car for all to see. No digital camera anymore for now.

My LSC is Champaign color DK code, tan leather. It now has 178K miles. I bought it with 162K miles or so. My car is one fast mo'fo'. From a stop, I can smoke my tires and have left standing a 300 RT, Z28 SS, all vettes except the new ones, any luxury V8 out there so far, and the list gets longer every week (I never manual shift). My engine is smooth, quiet, and leak free despite the hard driving I do (I get challenged alot around Los Angeles).

I found the LSC to be very forgiving when driven hard. BUT, with the brakes being hard to push, I have to drive slow for now.
I will have the brake lines flushed to see if that fixes it.
Will let you all know.

Thanks

Oh yeah,
Forgot to mention, I did not try another booster as I do not know how to replace one.

Maybe someone here can tell me how. I cannot find a service book for the car in any of the auto parts stores in the area.

for a service book get on ebay and grab one of the cds they are the ford factory manual

i cant help you replace the booster sorry but if you do take some pics

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
If I am at idle and hold the brake pedal down, two things happen. There is a hissing sound from inside the car from the firewall, and the engine will lope (rpm up and down) and lunge the car forward. If I take my foot off the brake, the engine will idle normally.[/div]

Definatley brake booster, same thing happened to my car at about 150,000 miles

Hissing sound is a a dead giveaway and the engine loping sound is from the HUGE VACUUM leak the leaking brake booster is causing.

"been there done that!"

Back