Caliper Carrier slide pins rusted

flir

Registered
I've been having a problem with the slide pins in the caliper carrier rusting and having to machine them out. I've removed them, bought new slide pins and rubber boots and applied never-seize to the pins and they still rust in place. Any suggestions?

RE: Caliper Carrier slide pins rusted

Be careful with the never sieze as it may not offer enough protection due to heat degredation. If you use the diaelectric grease as recommended you should have no more problems. Be sure to properly seat the boots over the little flanges on the calipers.

Thanks Roadboss, I thought I was doing the right thing using never seize. These carriers are no longer in production and you have to search junk yards to find replacements. If you're in the middle of a brake job and find out the pins are rusted in place, that does not make a good day. I even tried heat using mapp gas and had no luck removing them. Luckily I have access to a machine shop and was able to bore them out. My problem was keeping it from happening again. I always replaced the boots and made sure they were properly seated over the flanges. Maybe it does have something to do with the never seize. Thanks again.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
These carriers are no longer in production and you have to search junk yards to find replacements.
[/div]

Are you talking about the caliper brackets?

Yup. Not available from the dealer, or any parts stores.

I had the same problem. With some heat and some abuse, i got the pin out. Burnt the hell out of my hand in the process, though. That was years ago.

i loaded it up with wheel bearing grease, good stuff though. Mobil 1 i think. Never had a problem again.

Back