when applying brakes sterring wheel turns to left

durbine

Registered
i am having a problem with my 94 mark, when i apply the brakes and let off on my car the sterring wheel moves to the left and back. i have replaced both calipers, both rotors, both sets of pads with carbon metalic pads, and synthetic brake fluid. this did not fix my problem. when i bled the brakes the fluid would actually hit the plastic liner in the wheel well if i opened the valve to much on both new calipers, so i dont think there is a fluid restriction problem. i am starting to lean towards bulging brake lines or possibly even the ABS conrol module (hope not)! any way just wanted to see if anyone else had come across a similar or same situation.

thanks

RE: when applying brakes sterring wheel turns to left

I had a similar problem with my '90 Sable. The caliper would randomly get stuck, then free itself anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes later. The caliper/pins were fine, and I was able to bleed it without any problems.

It turned out that the rubber brake hose had swollen shut. Fluid could get through under pressure. But it couldn't easily drain back out of the caliper when I got off the brakes, so the line acted kinda like a check valve. Replace that next. Good luck!

Durbine: your problem is (most likely) the lower control arm bushing on whatever side the car is pulling toward when you hit the brakes. The bushing between the arm and the frame. Replace the entire control arm and the problem will be fixed.

If you want to test the theory, find a friendly oil-change place (with a pit, not a lift). Go down in the pit and have the oil change guy get in your car and move it forward slowly then hit the brakes and repeat while you watch the suspect bushing with a flashlight. ANY play means it's shot. What's happening is when you hit the brakes, the control arm is loaded in compression, the bushing is allowing it to move inward, and your toe is changing, so the car pulls.

I had the same problem on my '94 and '97 Marks.

Ford says the bushing is not serviced seperately. It could be pressed out and replaced, if you can buy a bushing, but it's not much more to just replace the whole arm, since sooner or later the ball joint will take a dump also, and again, Ford says the ball joint is not serviced seperately. When you're changing the control arm, the manual says don't put a wrench on the strut rod near the bend. put the wrench farther up or down on the flat spot, the bend is already a stress concentration point and you don't want to nick it or anything and add another stress riser.

thanks for the info guys! i just ordered the left and right lower control arms with ball joints(supposed to be here tommorrow). i also got left and right brake lines, and left and right struts because the struts were bad not the bags (i am going to install today). also having already replaced both the upper control arms and idler links and the inner and outer tierods about a year ago, the rack and pinion a couple of years ago, the recent complete brake job, and four brand new goodyear sport radials, this car should drive like brand new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ill let you know the results.

thanks again

Eric

1956 Harley Davidson
2006 Honda VTX1800 F
1994 Licoln Mark VIII
2001 GMC Sierra C3

I had a problem like that on a car I had a long time ago. It had nothing to do with the breaking system, it was a suspension issues, cracked leaf spring, so I think you are headed in the right direction.

Back