Front Coil-Conversion / Rear Air Springs

toastman2004

Registered
About a mounth and half ago, i replace my dying front air struts with a coil-spring conversion. i left the rear air as they were compltetly fine, and infact, were holding up with out any additional air from the compressor till about a week ago when i noticed the rear now lowering. I still have a decent compressor (thankfully i didnt burn it out riding with a leaking front air strut for almost a year) but i havnet figured out to get the system to send the air to the rear with out timing out on trying to pump up the front end. any help on this matter would be most appreciative. i am hoping to avoid going coil-springs in the rear (just a broke college student).

RE: Front Coil-Conversion / Rear Air Springs

i just had an idea, but i'm not sure of how to impliment it. would it be possible to just cross the air lines, so that when the system goes to pump the front, it would instead go tot he rear. any ideaa if the computer would kill the pump at the right hight, or would it just keep filling the bags for all 90 seconds. i'm really at a loss with air ride; it was such a nice ride when it worked. on a side note, if i decide to dump my mark ;( , any comments on replacing it with a 97 continental, or a 96' V8 Cougar?

thank you for the welcome, and for the links to that info. i'm still a bit at a loss of how to get the system to pump the rear bags; but i will continue to study the diagrams provided. I am a bit concerned that i may be causing some damage driving it with the rear slammed. any opinions on this? It looks cool, but i dont think it should be left that way. the ride is very harsh, and with a commute of over 30 miles (20+ hwy) i just dont want to mess her up (or my tires).

on a side note, i will continue to persevere for as long as my wallet will allow. i ended up spending half of my college fund to purchase my beloved mark 2 years ago (at a cost of $6K), and have sience put some $700 into new tires, another $150 into the front brakes (rotors & pads), $330 into the front suspension (coil-conversion) & $160 into new door handles. I love my mark dont get me wrong, but she is begining to take her toll on me. working full-time and full-time college student dont mix... leaves very little down time for the do-it-yourself attitude that i have.

The system pumps the front up to the correct height before inflating the rear to trim the car level. Somehow you need to fool the system that the front is at the correct height? Are your front ride height sensors still intact?

the front air ride sensors are intact. i infact i remounted them for, well, a reason i do not know, but they are intact. i am asuming from my readings of the schematics of the air ride that there is real no "simple" way to do this. my concluson to this problem was to adadpt the "solenoid mod" and manualy control my rear air suspension. i have about 5 pages of tech specs and schematics, though my knowlege is rather low in these matters. i will keep studing them, hopefully something a little less "hands-on" will come to light.

Just an Update:

I went ahead and replaced the rear air suspesion with coil. after my botched attempt adapt the solenoid mod, i had really no viable choice but to do this. and i must say, while ther is a diffrence in the feel and handling, its not as pronounced as i thought. the only real noticeable diffrence is on the freeway, generaly at the overpass junctures, it tends to bouce a bit. I appreciate the help though provided to me, and i hope i will be able to return the favor to someone as i continue to learn the in and outs of the mark.

Back