Harsh ride in front

96LSC

Registered
I did a search for this, but came up empty handed...

I just replaced the front brakes on my 96 LSC with 114,000 miles on it. I used the proper jack points and used jack stands for safety. I even remembered to shut off the air ride switch before lifting. All went smoothly except for the fact that it now seems like the front end is riding much stiffer than before. When going over speedbumps in my neighborhood, it feels like a lumber wagon for lack of better description. I used to be able to go about 15 MPH over them. Now if I go over 5, it feels like it will shake my teeth out! I don't have any warnings on the message center and the ride height doesn't appear to be any different than before. I can't hear any leaking form the air bags, so I'm stumped. Could something have happened that I don't know about? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

RE: Harsh ride in front

I hate to ask the obvious -- but did you remember to turn the air ride back on? I forgot once it it felt just like this. The ride was low to the ground if you got out and looked at the tires in relation to the frame of the car.

"I even remembered to shut off the air ride switch before lifting."

I did remember to turn the switch back on. Are the air struts in these cars really that easy to damage? I wouldn't think that you could damage them by lowering the car back down to the ground.

Struts aren't that easy to damage. Could just be a coincidence that another failure happened while you were fixing something.

The struts are probably just old, and the shock portion froze up. Fully extending them when the car was jacked up might have triggered it, but if so, they were due to be replaced anyway.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I wouldn't think that you could damage them by lowering the car back down to the ground.
[/div]

15MPH over speed bumps CANT be good for the shock portion of the strut.

Back