Front Axel hubs: to grease or not to grease.....????

flowmaster

Registered
Hello LOD ..!!javascript:smilie(';)') - new member as of today.! I pulled off the round domes of the front axel hubs and was expecting to find a grease packing area...... but no -dry as a bone. I can spin the rotors and see 1/4' diameter bearings turning inside so it appears the bearings are not sealed units...? Odd - I have never seen a front hub bearing design like this.
The service manual is a bit lacking in this area - Are these bearings a sealed, non greasable design??

I have not had any problems with the bearings - I just finished up replacing my upper and lower control arms and inner & outer tie rods and thought that I would service that area also...

Thanks Michael

RE: Front Axel hubs: to grease or not to grease.....????

Welcome! :)

The wheel bearing is an integral part of the wheel hub assembly and is serviced as a wheel hub and bearing assembly.

From the manual:

Wheel Bearings, Front

The front wheel bearings are of a hub unit design and are pregreased, sealed and require no scheduled maintenance. The front wheel bearings are preset and cannot be adjusted. If a front wheel bearing replacement is required for any service, the wheel hub (1104) must be replaced as an assembly. The front wheel bearings cannot be disassembled from the hub and serviced separately. No individual service seals, roller or races are available. The front axle wheel hub retainer (3B477) torque of 255-345 N-m (188-254 lb-ft) restricts bearing/hub relative movement and maintains axial position of the hub. Due to the importance of the front axle wheel hub retainer torque/tension relationship, take the following precautions during service:

1. Since the front wheel bearings cannot be adjusted, the front axle wheel hub retainer and washer must not be backed off after reaching the required torque of 320-340 N-m (236-250 lb-ft) during installation.

2. The front axle wheel hub retainer must be replaced with a new front axle wheel hub retainer whenever the nut is backed off or removed. Never reuse the front axle wheel hub retainer.

3. Impact-type tools must not be used to tighten the front axle wheel hub retainer or damage will result. Use a torque wrench.

RE: Front Axel hubs: greasing not required...!

RE: Front Axel hubs: greasing not required...!

JP,
Thanks for the post...! I was just itching to slap it with red high temp grease. It appears Ford is very serious about the hub nut / retainer componet. I will remember this in the future for bearing hub replacement.

Michael ......

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Impact-type tools must not be used to tighten the front axle wheel hub retainer or damage will result. Use a torque wrench.[/i]
[/div]

I'd like to see the guy who can tighten to 250 ft*lbs using a torque wrench - without a 4' helper bar.

You haven't seen the torque wrench we have at work. We normally torque fasteners to 300-400 lbft or more.

I think it has 4 foot handle - no cheater pipe needed. ;)

anyone know what the risk is if you reuse the retaining nut?

I recently had to remove the hub to service the brakes and unknowingly reused the nut. The service CD I have did not say to not reuse it.

It is a pretty big nut and looked pretty durable to me.

I believe the risk is the nut backing off.

The front wheel bearings are of a hub unit design and are pregreased, sealed and require no scheduled maintenance[/div]

JP, do you think there would be an adverse effect if they were "re greased"?

Mine are OLD, there cant be much lubrication type stuff left in there after 360,000 miles....right?

You'd think after 360,000 miles, the poor car would deserve a new set of front hubs. :+

Yes, you probably could regrease them, but they are most likely worn past any acceptable limitations before the lubrication is depleted. Realistically, a prelubed sealed unit will outlast any similar bearing with a replaceable cup, cone and seal(s), particularly in light/medium duty applications.

You'd think after 360,000 miles, the poor car would deserve a new set of front hubs. :+
[/div]

Ahh ya got me there!
HAHA

thanks, that is probably what I will do.. replace em.
Prolly need to do them all the way around.

Thanks!

Back