Brake Mods

pgakahuna

Registered
Hello all, I have been checking out the site for over month before purchasing a 93 MK8 with 86,000 miles on it for $2500 from a retired guy at the golf course. The information here was invaulable to a "rook" like me. My question is on brake mods that might help. I think they they are all orginal and don't want to stay to far from there.

RE: Brake Mods

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Hello all, I have been checking out the site for over month before purchasing a 93 MK8 with 86,000 miles on it for $2500 from a retired guy at the golf course. The information here was invaulable to a "rook" like me. My question is on brake mods that might help. I think they they are all orginal and don't want to stay to far from there.
[/div]

The best pads I've had were the EBC (?) Greenstuff pads. No noise, best stopping grip, very little fade, but they do dust.

Not sure about rotors.

If staying stock, new pads and rotors of high quality will go a long ways. Stay away from the cheap discount parts store rotors.

I am a firm believer in using the cheaper Motorcraft pads. Yeah they may create dust, but that's why they make car washes. :)

Thanks guys , If the the car pulls when the brakes are applied, is there a problem with the master.

No.

If the car pulls when the brakes are applied, it's probably the lower control arm bushing. Most likely not even a brake problem.

If you're friendly with the folks at the local oil change shop, go down there when they're not busy, get down in the pit, have the guy there get in your car and slowly move it forward and stop repeatedly. While he's doing that, use a flashlight and closely watch the inner bushing on the lower control arm on whichever side the car is pulling toward. If there is any play at all, that's your problem.

I had that same problem on my '94 and my '97 mark.

No.If the car pulls when the brakes are applied, it's probably the lower control arm bushing.
[/div]

Or a caliper pin sticking problem. The pins are supposed to slide freely, however the pins have been known to rust and freeze in place, even down here in arid SoCal.

I had a BAD sticky caliper a few months after buying my Mark VIII. I am betting its because the car wasn't driven that much and therefore brakes wern't serviced much if ever. This is an FL car and has never even come close to knowing what rust is.

Changing out your brake fluid might help some as well.

I had a BAD sticky caliper a few months after buying my Mark VIII. I am betting its because the car wasn't driven that much and therefore brakes wern't serviced much if ever. This is an FL car and has never even come close to knowing what rust is.Changing out your brake fluid might help some as well.
[/div]

In any case, the pin problem is easy to check for. Just remove the wheel and pull on the caliper side-to-side. It should have at least 1/8" of play along both pins. Doesn't mean the pin isn't sticky or rough, only that it isn't frozen. If you ever have the calipers off, that's a good time to clean the pins and put them on the wire wheel or brush. The pin sockets should be cleaned also using a wire brush drill attachment. If the pins are dinged or pitted, time for new ones.

Back