car won't refill after air pump replacement

wrsexton

Registered
Hello,
I just bought a '93 MK VIII with a dead air pump and alternator. Rebuilt alternator, bought new pump from Arnott. On my previous Mark, I put on coil springs. I want this one to stay air ride. Car was flat on bump stops in my driveway. I changed the air pump. Air pump runs until the relay shuts it off (about 90 seconds)but the car doesn't raise up. No hissing, no noise, just air pump running. Should I jack the car up before trying to run the pump? The Ford manual recommends using an electronic tool to air up a specific bag, but my whole system is deflated? Anyone have any suggestions?

RE: car won't refill after air pump replacement

Well, assuming the air pump is producing pressure and all the lines and valves are intact, the bags might have degraded so far that they have massive leaks.

It sounds to me like one (or more) of the airlines are not seated in the dryer properly. Try it again but put your hand close to the lines where they go into the dryer when the compressor is running. If you feel air, push the airlines into the dryer again. I think they go in about a half of an inch.

I had one leak yesterday when I replaced a dryer. I couldn't hear it leak either. I pushed them in again and it's fine now.

Thanks for your replies. I'll check the drier connections, one of them was a little cranky. I've had success with Arnott in the past, so figured a new pump would be better than a rebuilt one. Maybe not. I better check to see if it's pumping anything! No comments about whether the vehicle should be on or off the ground from anyone, but Ford manual says it should be elevated and I did not do that. Would seem the pump should move the car somewhat though.

If the compressor is running, then you shouldn't have to jack the car up. This means that the system is trying to inflate the airsprings.

If it's not pumping up, it's probably a leak somewhere (airsprings or airlines and connections).

It could also be a leaky vent valve or a weak compressor but you say they are brand new.

Sometimes it takes more than one cycle of pumping after starting the car to inflate bags that have been fully deflated. After the pump stops pumping, turn off the engine and turn it back on. If it doesn't raise the car after three cycles, then you've got a problem.

I have a problem. Pump has been cycled six times with no success. It's a brand new pump & drier. Don't hear air hissing, but leaks could be so massive there's no compression. I'll try all the suggestions tonight and see if I arrive at some conclusions. Thanks to all of you for your help.

Thanks for all your responses. I did have two hoses incorrectly inserted into the drier. Refitting them corrected that problem, but I do have a front strut leaking. Special thanks to American Air Suspension, his advice to raise the front of the car with a jack to a little below normal ride height and then cycle the pump proved effective. Took four cycles, entire car rose to ride height. After six hours, the front was over half way down again, a little lower on the right front than the left. Looks like new air struts are in my near future. :p

It's a very common problem as the rubber developes small cracks in the folds as you will see when you get out your old ones and look at them. Make sure you also get new "O" rings for your solenoids when you replace the struts. These need to replaced as well, or you will find the system leaking again.

Glad to hear that you got it to pump up. Eddie is a great guy for help with our air ride systems.

I'm curious, did you have to jack up the car because the pump wouldn't run, or because your airsprings were leaking too much?

You went to the man with the answers when you contacted american air suspension. Good luck.

Jacking it up enabled me to find rubber less cracked than when it was sitting all the way down.

Back