Looking for firm front end

U S Marine

Registered
Hello all. I recently converted my 96 Mark to coilovers and Cobra Bilstiens. I have the 1.5 lowering kit installed. I also have the 1-3/8 rear bar installed. I like the way the rear end feels, but I do not like the softness of the front end. I have looked at a few sites for a different set of springs and shocks to firm up the front. I see that Tokico carries a T-Bird shock that looks like it will work. I'm really not sure what spring to go with. The highest spring rate I found was through Suspension Techniques. Here is their ad:

"Suspension Techniques-Sport Sport Suspension springs are of the linear design and offer cold wound steel that is powder coated for a lifetime of protection. Suspension Techniques offers one kit for the 89-97 Thunderbird and it is designed to lower the car 1.50". The front spring rate is 432 lbs per inch and the rear spring rate is 631 lbs per inch with a freelength of 14.33 in front and 10.89" in the rear. Suspension Techniques makes their springs in the USA and the average discounted price for the springs are around $220.00 - $250.00 and come with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser of the product that it will be free of manufacturing defects so long as such purchaser owns the vehicle on which such products were originally installed. The warranty is transferable by the original purchaser for a warranty period of five years from the original purchase date.."

Does this sound like it will work? Also, am I on the right track in regard to the shock selection? I will appreciate any assistance provided.

RE: Looking for firm front end

Tony, with the limited number of "sprung" Mark VIII's, you may actually find a better response on the TCCOA board for the T-Bird MN12 chassis, essentially the same as the Mark VIII FN10 chassis. ;)

Good luck and please let us know your discoveries and experiences so other "sprung" Marks can share with the knowledge!

You can swap the shock portion of your springed strut with a KONI adjustable. I would do the 4 corners for $500 and have full adjustability.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
You can swap the shock portion of your springed strut with a KONI adjustable. I would do the 4 corners for $500 and have full adjustability.
[/div]

Thank you for the responses. I will look into the Koni's. I have them on my SVO and I like the adjustability feature. Do you have them on your Mark, by chance? If so, how do they feel? Also, would you have a part number? I'm assuming they are the ones for the similar year T-Bird or Cougar.

Thanks again.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Tony, with the limited number of "sprung" Mark VIII's, you may actually find a better response on the TCCOA board for the T-Bird MN12 chassis, essentially the same as the Mark VIII FN10 chassis. ;) Good luck and please let us know your discoveries and experiences so other "sprung" Marks can share with the knowledge!
[/div]

Well, the TCCOA website isn't very helpful to a "newbie." I got one replay after a slight coax. Anyway, after some more web-surfing, I think I'll get a set of the Vogtland springs and possibly a set of the Koni's for the front. The problem with the Koni's is that you have to use the stock strut and install the Koni cartridge. Haven't spent any time looking to see how that is done. I'll let you know how it works out.

Back