EBC pads and rotors?

7 sek mark

Registered
ok so ill be getting the EBC greenstuff pads in about a week. My front rotors are heat cracked bad so they need to be replaced bad. i was wondering if anyone has found the EBC dimpled and slotted rotors for atleast the front of our cars? if you have found them and ran them how do you like them? Is anyone out there running any type or drilled or slotted rotors in your car and who makes the ones that you have and do you like them? i dont really want to spend the money on a big brake kit if i dont have to but i would like better braking.

RE: EBC pads and rotors?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Is anyone out there running any type or drilled or slotted rotors in your car and who makes the ones that you have and do you like them?
[/div]

I have drilled rotors on the '93 that are from KVR I believe(I bought them from someone else who sold their car before they installed them). IMHO, they do better than the stock. But it is NOT a daily driver.

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1656.jpg

The '96 has drilled/slotted Cobra rotors with Cobra calipers. Definitely better brakes than the '93.

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/639.jpg

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/640.jpg

about how much do you think you spent on the cobra conversion? and is it worth what you spent on it?

The Cobra brake setup was on the car when I bought it.

I found some off of ebay for about 130. Cross drilled and slotted. They did not seem to come turned, so I had to get that done. But I can definetly feel the difference in my 95.

I had EBC Greens on a 3100lb import with upgrades brakes and they would not stop and overheated frequently, not to mention they dust ALOT. Put on Reds and sucked too. I will only use Porterfield for now but will try Carbotech's next.

I spent about $450 on my complete Cobra front kit. That includes Brembo rotors (were stock on cobras), PBR calipers (same as BAER, BAER just writes their name on them), and pads. Have the rotor redrilled for our lug pattern and ur done. Worth 2x the purchase price.

about how much do you think you spent on the cobra conversion? and is it worth what you spent on it?
[/div]

You'll spend in the neighborhood of $1000-$1500 for all parts.

At least that is what I priced them at www.supercoupeperformance.com.

I had EBC Greens on a 3100lb import with upgrades brakes and they would not stop and overheated frequently, not to mention they dust ALOT. Put on Reds and sucked too.
[/div]

Hmmm...the Greenstuff pads were by far the best pads I've ever tried on the Mark...and I've tried about 4 or 5 different pad brands/types. They dust like crazy, but I get the car gets dirty before the wheels do, so it all gets washed.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]about how much do you think you spent on the cobra conversion? and is it worth what you spent on it?[/div]You'll spend in the neighborhood of $1000-$1500 for all parts.At least that is what I priced them at www.supercoupeperformance.com.
[/div]

Too much. A search turns up the following posted by Max, former owner of my '96...

"And of course everyone wants to know the cost
Brand New loaded Red Cobra Calipers $240 shipped to my door
Brand new Drilled and Slotted 13 inch Cobra rotors $94 shipped to my door
So the total cost is only $334.
I had the rotors redrilled to fit the mark 8 wheel lug pattern."

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/d...ic&forum=21&topic_id=2701&mesg_id=2701&page=6

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong][div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]about how much do you think you spent on the cobra conversion? and is it worth what you spent on it?[/div]You'll spend in the neighborhood of $1000-$1500 for all parts.At least that is what I priced them at www.supercoupeperformance.com.[/div]Too much. A search turns up the following posted by Max, former owner of my '96..."And of course everyone wants to know the costBrand New loaded Red Cobra Calipers $240 shipped to my doorBrand new Drilled and Slotted 13 inch Cobra rotors $94 shipped to my doorSo the total cost is only $334.I had the rotors redrilled to fit the mark 8 wheel lug pattern."http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=2701&mesg_id=2701&page=6
[/div]

Oops...I was so very wrong...I gotta stop the crack.

My dollar figure was for going with 13" rotors and rear brakes as well. My bad.

However, I am skeptical as to how much better an upgrade in calipers can be on rotors that are the weak link (too small) in the system. Are you running stock rotor size with the upgraded calipers JP? If so, is there an improvement in braking? Do they fade differently?

I'm pretty sure they are the 13" rotors and can only be done with an upsize in wheels.

As far as fade, that's a tough call as I do not drive it that much. But I drive it enough to say it rides better(suspension-wise) and has better brakes. Handling is about even however, between the '93 and the '96.

I still don't understand why everyone is stuck on upgrading the rear brakes!?!

1. Rear brakes do roughly 20% of your braking, maybe less. Upgrade the stock rotors to something prettier and use a better pad.

2. Do you think adding the rotational inertia of a 13" rotor while using the stock caliper (same clamping force) is going to stop you better?

Adding lbs. at the wheel is way worse than putting dead weight in the trunk. You are soaking up hp. during acceleration and the brakes actually wind up working much harder to stop the weight of the bigger rotors. So any gains you are making with the larger heat sink (13" rotor) will be negated by its weight. Not to mention your caliper is using the same size pad and this contacting the exact same area on the 13" rotor as it did on the stocker.

So besides looking better whats the point?

It seems like a massive waste of time and money to me.

2. Do you think adding the rotational inertia of a 13" rotor while using the stock caliper (same clamping force) is going to stop you better?

[/div]

Uhhh... yes, a bigger rotor will yield more braking force than a smaller rotor with the same caliper on both.

I still don't understand why everyone is stuck on upgrading the rear brakes!?! 1. Rear brakes do roughly 20% of your braking, maybe less. Upgrade the stock rotors to something prettier and use a better pad. 2. Do you think adding the rotational inertia of a 13" rotor while using the stock caliper (same clamping force) is going to stop you better? Adding lbs. at the wheel is way worse than putting dead weight in the trunk. You are soaking up hp. during acceleration and the brakes actually wind up working much harder to stop the weight of the bigger rotors. So any gains you are making with the larger heat sink (13" rotor) will be negated by its weight. Not to mention your caliper is using the same size pad and this contacting the exact same area on the 13" rotor as it did on the stocker.So besides looking better whats the point?It seems like a massive waste of time and money to me.
[/div]

I agree with you that just a larger rotor will not do much for braking. I am assuming that the 13" rotors, larger calipers and larger pads (like the big brake package #2 at www.supercoupeperformance.com) would have a much larger contact area, but I could be wrong.

And as for the performance reduction, that is something I am willing to sacrifice to be driving a safer car.

The brake torque applied on disc brakes may be expressed as...

T = (F/4)*(D-d)

...where:

T = brake Torque
F = applied Force
D = Large diameter(of brake application)
d = small diameter(of brake application)

It can be readily seen from the above, better braking(torque) will be achieved with larger rotors(D) and or more applied radial area(D-d) given the same coefficient of friction and applied force.

The brake torque applied on disc brakes may be expressed as...T = (F/4)*(D-d)...where:T = brake TorqueF = applied ForceD = Large diameter(of brake application)d = small diameter(of brake application)It can be readily seen from the above, better braking(torque) will be achieved with larger rotors(D) and or more applied radial area(D-d) given the same coefficient of friction and applied force.
[/div]

As an engineer, I would agree with this. However in Keith's defense, the heat buildup would be almost the same (Newton's 3rd law) so you'd still hit fade after slowing down to X mph. The only advantage is that you would get down to X sooner.

Whadhesay?There you go agaim JP...throwing all the WV Tech talk at us all!
[/div]

Yeah, but when it comes to things like fashion sense and social skills, us technical types become the world's jesters... :+

Brake fade is mostly a product of heat and its effect on the coefficient of friction in the application of the brake.

You can argue "zero fade" is no change in coefficient of friction despite higher temperatures.

Asbestos worked well for this type of application to reasonable limits. The advance of semi-metallic and metallic brake pads were in response to brake fade and the absence of asbestos. Today's high-tech brake pads, such as Carbon/Grahite/Kevlar actually work too well for most street driven cars as they actually wear down the rotors too much in normal temperatures while delivering excellent fade resistance in extreme temperatures.

Today's high-tech brake pads, such as Carbon/Grahite/Kevlar actually work too well for most street driven cars as they actually wear down the rotors too much in normal temperatures while delivering excellent fade resistance in extreme temperatures.
[/div]

Yeah, but when the rotors ($50) are cheaper than the pads ($70), I would just assume replace rotors.

I know, I know...the cheapo Autozone $20 rotors are garbage, but I personally have never had any issues with them. Go with what works, right?

Back