New front struts - advice

jrm94mark8

Registered
I have a 94 Mark8 with 96K. Front end has been clunking a lot lately - mostly on the left side. I brought to my mechanic and I’m pretty sure we’re at least gonna do the left upper control arm and stabilizers. I did the right upper arm a couple of years ago. We also talked about struts and it might also be time. I haven’t heard back on whether they are shot (they are not leaking). I know that since we’re doing the upper arm it’s be easy to get in and do the struts. If it is time, I’m trying to decide which way to go. I think he quoted $470 for OEM and $350 for aftermarket. This is the price of the part – no labor. This seems high to me but not sure. I’m thinking of just ordering a set of arnotts for $179 each and trying them out. Anyone have any bad experiences with them?
FYI – I only put about 5K miles a year on this car and plan to keep it for at least a few more years.

Thanks for any info or help!!

RE: New front struts - advice

You can get OEM struts for less. It shouldn't cost more than $20 to install them once they're out anyway to do upper control arms.

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
F7LZ3C098BA $369.99 $0.00 $324.11
Front suspension - Suspension components - Shock

F7LZ3C098AA $369.99 $0.00 $324.11
Front suspension - Suspension components - Shock

Stay away from reman struts or arnotts for that matter. They are not worth a dime.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I have a 94 Mark8 with 96K. Front end has been clunking a lot lately - mostly on the left side. I brought to my mechanic and I’m pretty sure we’re at least gonna do the left upper control arm and stabilizers. I did the right upper arm a couple of years ago. We also talked about struts and it might also be time. I haven’t heard back on whether they are shot (they are not leaking). I know that since we’re doing the upper arm it’s be easy to get in and do the struts. If it is time, I’m trying to decide which way to go. I think he quoted $470 for OEM and $350 for aftermarket. This is the price of the part – no labor. This seems high to me but not sure. I’m thinking of just ordering a set of arnotts for $179 each and trying them out. Anyone have any bad experiences with them?FYI – I only put about 5K miles a year on this car and plan to keep it for at least a few more years.Thanks for any info or help!!
[/div]

Couple things:

1. The air struts can be fairly easily replaced without taking much of the front end apart. Take off wheel, pull out solenoid, remove upper and lower nuts/bolts, compress deflated strut, and remove. Wait until your bags are leaking before replacing them.

2. You can get good replacement struts for $160 along with great technical info from www.americanairsuspension.com. They have a better rep than Arnott.

Thanks for the info. I talked to my mechanic and my struts aren't leaking or there doesn't seem to be clear proof that they're bad. Right now, just doing the upper left control arm and stabalizer links. That'll probably help. I'll do the struts at some point but glad I don't have to fork out the cash right this moment - post holidays.

Thanks again - this site ROCKS!!

If your's is worn like mine was, you'll need to replace the upper control arms, sway bar end links, and Inner and Outter tie rod ends. I also replaced the lower control arms and strut rod bushings, but those weren't needed. The upper control arms are the first to go.

mark

Never ceases to amaze me why (other than being out of cash) some one would replace only 1 part of their suspension system when it relies on more than one item. How do you ever get a good alignment on your cars. Your lower control arms and strut rod bushings are probably also toast with that many miles. You'd be amazed how much better your ride will feel with rebuilding these components.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Never ceases to amaze me why (other than being out of cash) some one would replace only 1 part of their suspension system when it relies on more than one item. How do you ever get a good alignment on your cars. Your lower control arms and strut rod bushings are probably also toast with that many miles. You'd be amazed how much better your ride will feel with rebuilding these components.
[/div]

Right, but I assumed he didn't want to spend a lot of money. I myself have rebuilt my entire front end...myself. Even dropped the k-member and replaced the motor mounts. Not fun or cheap. Took an entire weekend and upwards of $500:

1. Inner tie rods
2. outer tie rods
3. Sway bar (not counted in dollar figure)
4. lower control arms
5. upper control arms
6. end links
7. all bushings with poly
8. struts
9. engine mounts

Back