bleeding brakes HELP

cruisincapri80

Registered
So whats the procedure for bleeding the brakes? Had a rotor split in half and the piston pushed all the wal out ruining the seal got air out of that side by pumping and opening the bleeder but the pedal still fades to the floor and doesn't hold pressure at all... On the first pump it goes directly to the floor every time. I'm supposed to be at work right now but no way to do that until i get this figured out...

RE: bleeding brakes HELP

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
So whats the procedure for bleeding the brakes? Had a rotor split in half and the piston pushed all the wal out ruining the seal got air out of that side by pumping and opening the bleeder but the pedal still fades to the floor and doesn't hold pressure at all... On the first pump it goes directly to the floor every time. I'm supposed to be at work right now but no way to do that until i get this figured out...
[/div]

Do you have someone helping you, or do you have the special bleeder device that allows you to do it by yourself? Normally, without the device someone has to pump the pedal and hold it down while another person opens the valve. With the pedal still held down, the valve gets closed. Repeat until you get only clear fluid coming out...no air.

Yea I had someone helping me. I was just wondering if the abs had some special procedure for bleeding. can't find my repair manual i only tried bleeding the side i changed the caliper on maybe i have more air in the other lines the resevoir did go empty

...you SHOULD bleed all brakes...but as there are seperate reservoirs, you could probably get away with just the back two. If it were me, while I was at it, I'd do them all. You also get the benefit of a fluid change! Probably needed anyway.

Bud Pytko
'97 LSC Silver Frost
'05 F250 SD CC PSD 4 X 4 AZ Beige
'94 Prowler 5th Wheel
http://squarebirds.org/images/BudPytko97LSC.jpg

1. Bleed each brake normally:

a. Rear passenger side
b. Rear driver side
c. Front passenger side
d. Front driver side

2. Bleed ABS system

You can do it easily with a Teves IV Bleeder ('93-95 Mark VIII models only)

I found 2 for sale on eBay:
"EDIT" EBAY LINKS NOT ALLOWED - LOD MODERATOR

3.Bleed each brake normally again.

The car still sits. Takin it to the dealership tomorrow morn to have them bleed the brakes.I bled all four individually and i'm guessin the abs has air in it of something. Its a 96 those tools won't work for me I don't know what tool i would need to do it but would probably buy one at this point. Can't wait to get the bill ha.

The car still sits. Takin it to the dealership tomorrow morn to have them bleed the brakes.I bled all four individually and i'm guessin the abs has air in it of something. Its a 96 those tools won't work for me I don't know what tool i would need to do it but would probably buy one at this point. Can't wait to get the bill ha.
[/div]

If you bled all the brakes and still have air, I'd suspect a bad caliper. In any case, the mechanic will let you know.

I was kind of wondering about it being a bad caliper but it says in the book that if the resevoir goes empty or work is done to the abs system that it needs to be bled with the dealership computer. thats what i've been told by a few other local mechanics also. i think if they can't bleed it i'll just order 4 new calipers and new rubber hoses i'm not really one to mess with parts that are giving me problems they get replaced. Thanks for the help I have an appointment at 1:00 at the stealership to get the abs bled. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Chuck

I was kind of wondering about it being a bad caliper but it says in the book that if the resevoir goes empty or work is done to the abs system that it needs to be bled with the dealership computer. thats what i've been told by a few other local mechanics also. i think if they can't bleed it i'll just order 4 new calipers and new rubber hoses i'm not really one to mess with parts that are giving me problems they get replaced. Thanks for the help I have an appointment at 1:00 at the stealership to get the abs bled. I'll let everyone know how it goes.Chuck
[/div]

I emptied the resevoir a few weeks ago when I changed out the fluid. Bled the brakes right after and then a week after that. All is fine now.

Well i got the car back from the dealership and its all better now. I probably should have tried a little harder to bleed them out myself but i got frustrated with it and gave in. they said it took the mechanic 3 hours but they only charged me for 1. Came to 90 bucks. oh well i guess i have brakes again. I also picked up the "blend door actuator motor"??? Supposedly the part i need to get the heat workin again. no heat at tem below zero really sucks. Thanks for the help guys.

Back