Ride quality question after coil spring change over

Sangrun

Registered
Hello all,

I'm a newb with a 1993 MK VIII that I sort of traded my 1993 Ford F150 for on a whim. Sort of...

Anyway, the previous owner did the coil change over and put a set of Eagle 17's on it with a set of Michelin tires. He also put a set of Mustang GT mufflers out back and it sound awesome like a car of this caliber should if one was to customize it.

It ride nice on the highway and and over any smooth terrain, but hit an expansion joint or pot hole and the rear end feels like it is falling out behind you.

Anyone else have this issue after the coil change over? It's not lowered and the front doesn't hit nearly that bad when it happens. I'm worried it is the 17's with the reduced sidewall making it more pronounced.

Here is a pic of the car as well.
http://www.guns-and-ammunition.com/sangrun/mkvic/mkviii.jpg

RE: Ride quality question after coil spring change over

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Are you SURE that the coil chageover included the rear. Some just do the conversion on the front.
[/div]

Yes, it has actual coils and it does have a broken swaybar on the left side at the mount/bushing collar.

I took a longer look at the coils and they look almost too close together on the top. The top 3 coils are practically touching or are touching. Seems like a waste of time to have these springs on there? I'm wondering if this dude put a set of springs on the rear that he thought would work or were close enough.

I have swapped my share of coils on all types of cars in the past and I understand progressive coils, but these don't look right. They do look fairly new as he said they were.

If I do need to put in a different set of springs that is a no brainer.

RE: Ride quality question after coil spring change over

"It ride nice on the highway and and over any smooth terrain, but hit an expansion joint or pot hole and the rear end feels like it is falling out behind you."

I recently (Dec. 23rd, 2006) bought my black 95 Mark VIII and the air bag suspension had been done all around. I had the upper control arms replaced and likewise it rides nice on smooth pavement but expansion joints etc. still gives a pretty hard ride. I have the original directional chrome wheels and new Michelin tires so I doubt it is your wheels and tires causing the hard impact when hitting road rash. Original equipment is doing the same.

Is there a way to adjust the air bag ride to soften effects of the potholes etc.? I took a trip to Ohio via Detroit (America's worst expressways) in December and my back molars are now loose from the bone jaring road conditions.

I might add, that for a big car the Mark handles corners like it is on rails and it is fun to drive as long as the road is smooth.

BlackHawk

Back