catylatics

RE: catylatics

I wouldn't.

Excessive noise and excessive drone accompanied by a noticeable decrease in low-end power.

Another thing to consider, in some states you can be hit with some serious fines for operating on the streets without the cats.

Geez. I thought this thread was about a new luxury model from that GM division. :)

If you are looking for improved flow or saving space, check out randomtecnologies.com Their stuff is legal and well built. I used one of their mini high flow converters on my last car with the exhaust that I built for a turbo set-up.

http://www.provenperformanceconcepts.com/RTCats GroupMED.jpg

BTW: They are a little pricy, but well worth it if it solves your problem, I spent $285 on one coverter, but it was perfect for me!

I have clogged cats and don't have a penny to spend on the problem.

I've had the problem for about a year and at times, besides hearing the popping from the cats I feel a lack of horse power.

I want to punch out the cats to fix the problem but not if I am going to loose that much horse power. Are the cats bolt on or are they welded to the pipes?

One of the cats is bolt-on, the other is integral with the exhaust manifold. Just cut behind them and gut them. The exhaust is a little louder, but not really any more drone. Save the ceramic, when i had mine gutted the guy said he takes it in to get recycled and gets like $20 from one set of cats. Don't gut them if you have emissions testing, though.

I can't decide to go with High Flow Cats or Gut?? If i'm getting a Check engine light now and it's telling me possible bad Cat bank one! Will gutting the cats make that light go away or not? (Will the O2 sens. read okay after our cats have been gutted?)

BTW what do most shops get for welding in a set of new cats??

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Joe
97 Mark VIII LSC (Blk/Blk) Mods. have begun!
http://www.hostmysig.com/data/slowjoe/LODSigPic1.jpg

The light won't go away by itself. You can do one of three things.

A) get a chip to disable the rear O2 sensors (Dennis should be able to set you up) and leave your cats the way they are.

B) Get the chip and gut your cats. If the rear O2 sensors are disabled, you can gut the cats and you won't have a problem.

C)get high-flow cats. If the rear O2 sensor is behind a high-flow cat, it should eliminate the CE light. If the cats are placed further downstream, you'll still need a chip to take care of the CE light.

you can get O2 simulators that plug into the connector that the rear O2 sensors plug into, so that the computer just sees a "normal" reading from those sensors all the time and doesnt' throw a code. This might be cheaper, if that is your main concern. Me, I would (did actually) get a chip (or a dyno tune, if the tuner knows how to disable the rear O2's) and then gut the cats. Of course, if you have to get your emissions checked, you won't pass with hollow cats (you probably won't pass now, if they're bad) in which case you'll want to get high-flow cats.

Thanks for the advice!!

I already have a chip (LMS) however, I am waiting to install it after I get the CE light to go away! I can get the High Flow Cats at a good price, however, I'm not sure what I will have to pay to have them installed. After I install them, then it's time to get the 3rd cat/res. out and put in the "X" Pipe!!

I wish money was not a problem.....But I'll do the most with what I have !! :)

Thanks, Joe
97 Mark VIII LSC (Blk/Blk) Mods. have begun!
http://www.hostmysig.com/data/slowjoe/LODSigPic1.jpg

I had mine gutted for years.When I smogged it the guy said it was one of the cleanest burning cars he had ever smogged.INcluding new cars.
Of course the nitrous helped clean the valve deposits.LOL

Save the ceramic, when i had mine gutted the guy said he takes it in to get recycled and gets like $20 from one set of cats

I think that's because there is platinum in that material.

Back