3rd Cat Question

redn8

Charter Member
Paid Member
Does the 3rd cat have an 02 sensor? What happens when you take it out?

RE: 3rd Cat Question

Does the 3rd cat have an 02 sensor? What happens when you take it out?

No, you get a better sound and more power, but unless you put an X pipe you may get drone.

Steve - where did you get your exhaust put in? I am having trouble finding a place that would take out my 3rd cat.

at a place in Newark, talk to Geno he has got a guy in south jersey

If the 3rd cat is not working properly then is it ok to have it taken out? What might cause this?

I'm having a problem finding anyone to take it out.

That place in south jersey is too good to open on the weekends. I am in Staten Island every now and then and wouldn't mind dropping the car off - what is the name of the place you went to that removed your third cat?

Norm, I can send you a hacksaw. Two minutes in front of it and two in back and you're good to go. The O2 sensors, (one on each side)are located on the catalytic converters that come off the exhaust manifold. If you remove the 3rd cat by saw, just tell the guys you hit a possum and it took out your exhaust. You could bring in the back 10 feet and they'll set you up. Bring along a Geno X or XX and as long as they didn't cut the cat, they might (should) do it.

I would get rid of the 3rd cat and the little resonator behind it strictly for sound purposes. If you are trying to pick up another .2 in the quarter, why bother. Good luck.

Remember, a good man is a man who helps himself.

'93 MonsterMark Project Car
Bryan

I went in today to the House of Mufflers in Bellevue NE. Told them I had an exhaust kit made for my Mark 8, he wanted $150 to install. A little high but I'm kindof in a pinch, so OK. 730 am I'm at the shop for drop off. 8am, he calls : "We've got a problem, I can;t remove this 3rd cat, its Federal Law."

"Oh No," I tell him "that's just a resonator, the car will meet emissions code with the front 2 cats alone". he's skeptical. "OK, well, put it back together I'll be there in 10 minutes to pick it up" I've got no time to screw around, the dyno tune is in 2 days and the exhasut is still not on.

So, I get there, and it's still up on the lift and the exhasut is laid out under it. He tells me he called the local L/M dealer and asked them. Luckily, he got somebody who did not have their head up their arse. Maybe he mis-dialed and didn't get a dealership at all LOL. Anyway, the L/M service guy tells him that the Y-cat is NOT required and can be cut off!!! Hooray for the Dealer Service Guy!!! (who ever thought they would hear that?!?!)

Soooo, yesterday, my Mark was in the shop for a coolant leak. The mechanic there, my regular guy, says he thinks he can do the exhaust too. Then he gets a look and says No he cannot. What I didn't know then was that he laid it all out and labelled each part "left front" "mid right" etc. BUT he got some of the labels WRONG! So the exhasut guys today are going by these labels, thinking "What the Heck?!?!" it's all straight now, and by 5pm today I will have the ART Speedfreak exhaust and Dynomax Ultraflows!

And I will have an extra set of factory-fresh Ultraflows for sale too, but that's another story (see GoFast Parts thread in Gen discussion forum if you want to read about that fubar'd snafu)

That place in south jersey is too good to open on the weekends. I am in Staten Island every now and then and wouldn't mind dropping the car off - what is the name of the place you went to that removed your third cat?

Are yo kidding? Saturday is Denny's busiest day of the week????????

I was told catagorically, that they were closed Saturday's... I was very upset that I couldn't get the muff's I bought from you installed there. But, I will pay them another call and try to make an appointment to convert my system - thanks.

Back