V-8 Sound

backhome2u

Registered
Is there a 'silencer' built into the 1st Gen cars that makes them so quiet? I want a big sound and can't (yet) afford Geno's 2XX system! Can something be removed to help? Please advise.

Joanna/Backhome
'93 Mark VIII Black/Black

RE: V-8 Sound

Hi Joanna,
non-lsc cars are quiet due to the restrictive stock exhaust system involving the 3rd cat/resonator(whatever you want to call it).
So you have 2 cats, one resonator and two big quiet mufflers.
All designed to not give Grandpa a headache as he is driving down the highway in Florida :)
Or they wanted it to sound like what a luxury car should sound like. either one.
You can try to have an exhaust shop remove the resonator. (good luck finding someone)
If your looking for better sound I would just change out the mufflers. about $100 a pop plus the labor.
Just remember that if you plan on going with a new exhaust system in the future to buy the mufflers with the openings for a 2 1/2".

http://www.johnnmeg.com/files/sigpicmain.jpg

I was able to find a place to remove my resonator but they wouldn't remove the 3rd cat. I bought the XpanansionX mufflers from LMS and the car has a modest sound. Click the link in my signature and you will find 4 sound bytes.

It took me a while but I finally found someone to cut out my 3rd cat and resonator. I had true duals installed.

I wanted the sound you are talking about when I first bought my car but really didn't want to spend a lot of money,so..I had the mufflers cut off and ran straight pipes. It is loud and I loved the sound but I heard you give up low end torque by doing this. It's a cheap way to get the noise level up. I think I paid about $100 to get it done. If you think it's to loud you can get other mufflers put on.

I would recommend doing it the right way but I enjoyed the sound with no mufflers.

Thank you all for the great input! As always, you're the greatest.

I'll let you know how it all comes out... ac needs repair; now all door hinges have to be replaced; sigh. I just wanted it to be ok! (Remember me? $4000 last year on repairs?? Air ride; etc. etc. etc. )

Ya think they saw me coming?

Joanna/Backhome
'93 Mark VIII Black/Black

Back