Welded cat is killin me...

Taeberius

Registered
So I took my Mark to a custom exhaust guy yesterday. It was great finally getting to see the belly of this beast for the first time. We first decided on what it would take to tackle everything from the cats back. His plan is to cut off each pipe leading from the cats just before they will start into my XX pipes in the center. On the other side it'll start up with 2.5" tubing, welded together down that tight run, and split up both going into my UltraFlow SS mufflers. He said the cost for labor to do that much will be 250.

Now we decided to figure what would be needed to get the old cats replaced with high flow ones. At first he said it couldn't be done because the one was welded on. But I told him people have had them replaced before. He came to the conclusion that to fix a new cat to the left manifold he would have to completely remove the manifold, and bring it to a workbench where he would mold a new pipe to it since its some odd misshapen oval/square connection right now. The labor for that whole job natural would cost about 500. I can understand since the manifold would get detached, but you know, why not just new headers while were at it?

Well nobody makes headers for our cars so I'm trying to look into a tool that we could ram into the manifold to make its pipe a cirle, for easy welding, without having to remove it. Would this damage anything? Is there a specific tool designed for this purpose? Please, give me your thoughts and suggestions on how to fix this!

Thanks,
~Kevin

86' TBird w/214K (Original Tranny!)
95' Mark VIII w/60k (Profile=Mods)

RE: Welded cat is killin me...

I think Chris is still doing headers for $1000 a pop. Jeremi was supposed to get a prototype set of kooks headers to test-fit, so if you wait awhile there might be a set available for $500 or so. But we've all been waiting a while already...

You Mark is a '95, right? I hate to be anti-clean air - but do you NEED the cats in the system?

dsinclair:

I do "NEED" the cats. I have yearly emissions in my state. Even if I removed them, I'd have to attach something new to the hacked off bit. If I hollowed them then I would still have restrictive 2 1/4 piping from the manifold on...

~Kevin

86' TBird w/214K (Original Tranny!)
95' Mark VIII w/60k (Profile=Mods)

I have cobra manifolds for the low price of $75. They come with NOTHING attached. They will not flow anywhere near as well as headers, but they are not $1K. PM me for details.

Eli:

Sorry, replacing JUST the manifolds is what I'm trying to avoid ;) The labor to get into that area is going to be about 500. I'm paying 550 for everything UP to the cats, including parts.

Dan R. sells long tube headers and a cat back x-pipe system for Mark VIII's. He'll install them or ship them to you. I've had his cat back system for a couple of years. Check him out at www.speedfreak.cc

"Dan R. sells long tube headers" - ???? I don't think he is selling these yet? If he is could he or somebody else put up the pricing. I know he has been talking about making these for years now. (no offense to Dan, I know they are a pain to make and I'm sure the market isn't that big for these)

Ken

If you need cats, don't want the stock cats, and don't want to replace or cut the exhaust manifold, why not gut the stock cats and put aftermarket cats farther downstream?

I talked to Dan R. and he said he'd have long tube headers for sale in a couple of weeks. He has a pattern and makes up sets when there is demand. If you're interested contact him at: www.speedfreak.cc

I have cobra manifolds for the low price of $75. They come with NOTHING attached. They will not flow anywhere near as well as headers, but they are not $1K. PM me for details.

has anybody done this? how hard was it?

i just finished test fitting the headers for the last time and the clear with the stock steering joint. i should be able to get a couple sets out next week but the coated ones would take a week and a half.

Back