Problem with cats

Arc_Angel

Registered
The car has been running kind of lousy, so I took it in for service. Mechanic told me that it's throwing codes for failed catalytic converter. Said he had to loosen bolts on the cat just so the car will run at all.
Now, I am not about to spend almost $2200.00 for two new Mark VIII cats. I would prefer to install some high flow cats in their place. Has anyone done this? What type do people recommend and where can I get them?
BTW
1998 Mark VIII LSC 90K
LMS chip/MAF kit
B.E. Shift kit

RE: Problem with cats

There's a code for cats? is this only on gen 2's?

I'm not sure of a certain type but do a search and you might find something.

The high-flow cats are not bolt on and are going to cost 250 bucks to put on (from what the minakie guy told me). If your going to go this route then put on the cat back system from geno and the high flow cats. This will improve everything greatly. I was reading that header thread and was amazed at the HP picked up from the header/exhaust upgrade. Seems like you could get the header/cats/catback and pipes on for under 2k.

Dunno really. Just rambling here. I'm not an expert on this just giving my advice. I think I've heard somewhere around here that the cats can be got at pep-boys or orielly's.

Good luck.. ohh and there's a link around here to high-flow cats online if your willing to wait a couple days to get them at a bit of a discount.

Good Luck :)

Back