Winter Storage

Fro99

Registered
I live in WI where soon we get winter and it will be my first winter with my new car my M8 :)
but i think i have to put it away for winter here :(

i was just wondering if u guys had any thoughts on winter storage....
i was thinking my (un-heated) grage or maby a heated facilty if it was that much better for it
any input would be greatly apprechated
i dont know anything about storage so thx for the help
stuff like disconnect the neg. side of the batter i think or sometihng

Thx agin :)

RE: Winter Storage

Greetings from Eau Claire, WI....my babies are all tucked for the winter already, and here is what i do. Clean them, inside and out (nothing inside to attract rodents), and put your best coat of wax on them...door jams, everything. Stabil the gas tank. Place large plastic drop cloth on the floor where it will be parked. Drive onto the plastic. Put it up on jackstands to protect the suspension and tires. Disconect the battery. Get a good quality car cover and tuck the edges of the plastic up under the car cover. Do all that in a heat controlled garage if you can. Pile up the wiredwood. Get snowmobile out of storage. Change oil in the 4x4 and wait 6 months..lol.

Honestly, i just wash it and park it. Make sure the antifreeze is good and you'll be fine. The fuel won't gum up within a few months.

Everything recommended above is good, but you really don't have to go through all that.

I'm a little more thorough on the boat, but not much. I do plan on at least pulling the tires off the boat trailer, though.

I'd say, if you want to be thorough, check the antifreeze and make sure it's good for winter, then wash, wax car. Spray WD-40 or other light oil (preferably not from an aeresol can) on any areas that are rusting (look very close at the underside of the doors, where the door skin folds over, they WILL rust there sooner or later) and any exposed metal areas (except the brakes). watch out, the drips will stain the driveway. Fill it with fuel and add sta-bil. Then park it, put it on jackstands if your tires are any good, and call it a day. If you're storing for more than 6 months (i may store for maybe 4 months for the winter) then i'd make sure it's on jack stands and has sta-bil in the tank, less than 6 months and i wouldn't worry about it. It's a good idea to unhook the battery too, but i usually don't.

On behalf of scotty96lsc, I ask... What is winter? :D

On behalf of Trixie, I respond.... I hate you Scott! x(

.. ::wtf::
would i still have to jack it up if i have air ride, once its parked cant i just turn off the air ride system

and how do i go about Stabil the gas tank
and where do i get this big plastice bag :eek:
but if i get a car cover (i was thinkin to get it off amazon)do i need the big plastic bag?

Thx again for all the help :D

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
.. ::wtf:: would i still have to jack it up if i have air ride, once its parked cant i just turn off the air ride systemand how do i go about Stabil the gas tankand where do i get this big plastice bag :eek: but if i get a car cover (i was thinkin to get it off amazon)do i need the big plastic bag?Thx again for all the help :D
[/div]

Go to Walmart...first stop in the paint section and buy a big plastic painting tarp thing...probably $3. This is to protect things from crawling up into the car, as well as to prevent moisture from seeping up if your not going to keep it in a heated garage with a sealed floor (and if you are, then its a good idea to prevent anything from leaking onto the floor anyway). Now stroll over to the automotive section and pick up a bottle of Stabil, and follow the directions on the bottle. Pick up 4 jackstands while you are there....Do it for the tires, if not the suspension. This whole trip isn't going to cost ya more than $35.

Don't worry about the plastic. Toss a few dryer sheets inside the car to keep it smelling nice, moths don't like the smell of dryer sheets any more than they do mothballs.

you just dump the sta-bil in the gas filler, it's pretty simple.

if you have crappy tires, don't bother with the jackstands. if you have good tires that you want to be sure not to flat spot, then put it up on jack stands.

Like i said, the last 2 years i've just washed it and parked it and i haven't had a problem. But in all honesty it does usually end up on jack stands for half the winter, although that's for other reasons :).

Very nice guys Thx alot
i guess ill be running over to wallmart soon since today i starting geting delayed starts ::wtf:: :(

Like i said, the last 2 years i've just washed it and parked it and i haven't had a problem. [/div]

I don't store cars for what they will look like the following year....I store them for what they will look like in 20 years.

Living in Houston, Texas i dont know what a real winter is like. last year it snowed for the first time in years! i have pictures of my dads towncar in snow. but my mark was in the garage at the time. im just wondering is it actually OK to not use your mark for months on end??? when my my mark doesnt get used for 2 weeks it will give me a rough start the day i start it up. im just wondering how yall's marks hold up in the winter(here in southeast TX it rarely gets below 40 at anytime during Xmas time.) v
:)

I do try to start them once a month to keep the seals from drying out, but I haven't had a problem when i didn't.

ps. You haven't lived until you've experienced -40. If your a Cowboy fan, just find a copy of the Ice Bowl for an idea of what happens when you Texans come up here to the Tundra though :)

ps. You haven't lived until you've experienced -40. If your a Cowboy fan, just find a copy of the Ice Bowl for an idea of what happens when you Texans come up here to the Tundra though :)
[/div]

but dont ask us what happens when we go down there anytime in the 90's :(

haha

Living in Houston, Texas i dont know what a real winter is like. [/div]

, :B to you, too, Cadman.

Back