only $38,999?!?!

RE: only $38,999?!?!

haha, that is about what i paid for my 1997 LSC NEW with 0.9% for 4 years.

When you consider that he is starting high to give himself some room to come down to what he really wants to sell it for, which I'd guess to be about $32,000, its realistic. Sure, there is no warranty any more, but when it was new with a warranty, it would have been quite a bit more than that. I wouldn't let it go for less if it were me.

Some guy was selling a CE with only 218 miles or something like that on it and could not get $22k for it on eBay. Since that car was owned by a dealer i bet he paid $32k for back in 1998. Lincoln had bigger incentives in 98 then 97. The KBB retail is under $9k

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
When you consider that he is starting high to give himself some room to come down to what he really wants to sell it for, which I'd guess to be about $32,000, its realistic. Sure, there is no warranty any more, but when it was new with a warranty, it would have been quite a bit more than that. I wouldn't let it go for less if it were me.
[/div]I paid $31,600 in '98 for my LSC brand new.

blue book gives you average price for an average car. The "average" 98 now has 86,000 miles, the cup holder is broke, the leather is worn, the floor mats are dirty and the headlights are hazy. You think he gives a #### what blue book is? A nice guy would point you to an average car with your blue book....I'd tell you something else.

$31,600? your either the best negotiator in the world or are mighty short on options. My CE was $48,000 new.

blue book gives you average price for an average car. The "average" 98 now has 86,000 miles, the cup holder is broke, the leather is worn, the floor mats are dirty and the headlights are hazy. You think he gives a #### what blue book is? A nice guy would point you to an average car with your blue book....I'd tell you something else.
[/div]

I agree it is not the average car; the blue book also gives mileage and condition adjustments as well as extra money for options. $9 was the retail for the fully loaded pristine 98 LSC with very low miles. I would give him 15k for it, not a penny more.

Ya..there are people who want one thats as new as possible. I know that for a fact because I bought my CE for $22,0000 with 12,000 miles, and had the person I outbid offering me $24,000 for it. ya, its probably not going to be a blue collar guy making $30,000 a year, but for those of us who consider the Mark VIII to be the best all around American road car ever made, and want one as new as possible and can afford what the bargain shoppers can't. Again, there are thousands of people who paid more than that for a new one, and thats about as close as they are going to get to being able to either replace the one they wore out, or buy the one they couldn't at the time. When I bought my CE, I didn't buy it for everyday transportation, I wanted it so that I would have a showroom example of the car I love, and I would think that on a site devoted to appreciating these cars that there would be more people who see them as something more than a hotrod project.

Did you buy new? The sticker on my car was $41,915.00. It was basically loaded as far as I know. About the only thing it doesn't have is the integrated phone and of course it's not a CE. It has moonroof, garage door opener, heated seats and 10 disk CD changer.

It's been over 7 years since I purchased so I just looked at my sales agreement to refresh my memory and I was off by a bit. I actually paid $33,000 after a $4,000 rebate from Ford and a local dealer rebate of $2,000 available at that time. The rest was negotiated. I did buy it after the Mark was killed off and they were anxious to clear inventory.

This does not include local taxes or delivery of course.

Ya..there are people who want one thats as new as possible. I know that for a fact because I bought my CE for $22,0000 with 12,000 miles, and had the person I outbid offering me $24,000 for it. ya, its probably not going to be a blue collar guy making $30,000 a year, but for those of us who consider the Mark VIII to be the best all around American road car ever made, and want one as new as possible and can afford what the bargain shoppers can't. Again, there are thousands of people who paid more than that for a new one, and thats about as close as they are going to get to being able to either replace the one they wore out, or buy the one they couldn't at the time. When I bought my CE, I didn't buy it for everyday transportation, I wanted it so that I would have a showroom example of the car I love, and I would think that on a site devoted to appreciating these cars that there would be more people who see them as something more than a hotrod project.
[/div]

Chuck, I agree with your concept, but, have to say that not everyone that belongs to this club owns a museum quality Mark VIII. If that was a prerequisite to belong to this club, there would be less than a handful of members.

I ask then, why bother to restore a Mark VIII, when it is just someone's restoration project, and not a original example?

Furthermore, I take great pride in my Mark VIII, and care for it like it is a museum quality Mark VIII. I am sorry that you perceive the Mark VIII hotrod enthusiast as someone that is shallow, and does not care about the preservation of the Mark, as I believe the total opposite is true.

Hey Schultz, thats not what I was saying, and I'm sorry if it sounded that way. First of all, I would be one hell a hypocrit if I called anyone shallow for hotrodding a car....I've got a '73 Country Squire that I bored, stroked and otherwise built up to 550 horse power, a 75 Cougar with 16,000 miles that sat in a garage for 30 years and the engine seized so the body and interior are showrom, but because I had to rebuild the engine, I just couldn't help myself from using Edelbrock RPM parts and aluminum GT40 head (that was probably dumb though), and I am almost done with a 79 Mark V that while I restored the body and interior to new, I pulled the 400 and out and inserted a 500 horse 429. I love these cars, but if someone else had a 3,000 miles original, I be drooling over it and recognizing how special it was..even if mine were a whole lot more fun to drive.

Also, I have two Mark VIIIS....my daily driver has a few performance mods too, so I'm not exactly opposed to that either.(and trust me, it is maintained...it has 210,000 miles but looks like 40,000 inside and out). The point is, anyone can do that, but once you do, and the more miles you rack up, the further you are from something that you will only see again in museums.

I guess my point is that your right...there are only a handful of us, and for those of use who have invested the time and money into maintaining a low mile museum piece, we consider it worth our investment, and get a little pissed when someone starts waving a bluebook in our face. Sure, a 1932 Jaguar is probably deprectiated down to about $12 by those standards, but give me a break.

Did you buy new? The sticker on my car was $41,915.00. It was basically loaded as far as I know. About the only thing it doesn't have is the integrated phone and of course it's not a CE. It has moonroof, garage door opener, heated seats and 10 disk CD changer.It's been over 7 years since I purchased so I just looked at my sales agreement to refresh my memory and I was off by a bit. I actually paid $33,000 after a $4,000 rebate from Ford and a local dealer rebate of $2,000 available at that time. The rest was negotiated. I did buy it after the Mark was killed off and they were anxious to clear inventory.This does not include local taxes or delivery of course.[/div]

Yup, Lincoln was giving them away in 98. In 97 I could have gotten 3k more off but opted for the 0.9% financing. Since at that time a bank loan would have had more interest then $3k and the interest for the 0.9%. My sticker was $40,xxx, I believe I got it for around 37,500, I would have to look at my receipt at home. It is an LSC with CD changer, no moon roof, no phone or no heated seats.

I don’t think most people here have the money to burn to have a car to wax and just look at. Mine has been my daily driver since August of 97 and has over 106k miles. It would have more, but I got an 04 Vette last year and I have put over 10k miles on it. I like to drive my cars and enjoy them. I would not mind having the means to have a garage queen, maybe some day. Ford kept a Mark VIII for their museum; I will leave it up to other to preserve the Mark VIII.

Back