Drag racing a mark 8

Alkymark8

Registered
Howdy, new to here and digging it. I have a mark 8 that I am thinking about backhalving and drag racing it and wondering if anyone has done this before? Thanks.:)

RE: Drag racing a mark 8

Welcome. There are many of us that drag race our Mark VIII. And I have seen a Mark VIII with a tube chassis. How fast do you expect to run with your Mark?
Keith
93 BLACK
93 MAROON
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.

That's a of power to get a 4000lb car to run low 10's. Are you planning in keeping the 4.6 and what power adders are you going to use? My choice is twin turbos and that adds its own list of challanges.
Keith
93BLACK
93 MAROON
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.

have you ever dealt with Alcohol(methanol)?

let me first start by saying WELCOME.

I am a HUGE drag race fanatic, as well as a Mark VIII freak. One thing I have discovered is that the Mark VIII would make an awesome pro-street(back-halfed) ride...it is aerodynamic, has huge doors, and plenty of rear cabin room for a full tube chassis with certified cage.

Keep in mind, when running alky, you need the fuel supply to be as close to the pump assembly as possible. Therefore, you either need to make room for, and mount a front fuel cell, or create a anti-cavitation(purge) tank to store the alky in for the pump. This means, fuel cell in trunk, plumbed to the front, into a small pressure tank that will feed the pump. That also means you will need a high volume(GPH) fuel pump to transfer the fuel volume from the trunk to the tank.

methanol is corrosive to aluminum, and rubber. All the fuel lines will need to be either teflon lined, and/or high pressure fitting equipped.

I can tell you now, your stock fuel delivery set up(efi) will not be sufficient.

what motor/trans/rear end combo do you have in mind?

I'd love to turn a Mark into a pro car...full tube chassis, with a 500 inch motor. But going blown alky on a DOHC set up is just way too much work.

Hey BlackIce, you just made me realize something I am suprised I never thought of before. There are companies that make conversion kits to fit a big block into a Thunderbird, and given how close they are, it shouldn't be too hard to do. My 95 is at 210,000 miles, and I have a 32,000 mile engine in storage for when it goes, but I also have the 460 I took out of my Country Squire....I can see there is going to be a whole lot head scratching going on over supercharing the 4.6 or bore and stroking the 460...lol.

Back