More Power

mlt2

Registered
Hello all, well I have had my 1998 Mark LSC VIII for over a month now and I LOVE it. I have read a lot of good post on here. There is so much good info on here. From what I read the car the car had 290 hp ( not rear wheels ) it runs great. But would like to give it a bit more power. Could I get 350-375 HP out of this engine safly. Also could it be done with out costing a lot? I just dont want to go adding blowers and redoing the engine. Also I have a 3.23 would it really help performance to go with a 4.11. and forgot the engine mods? Like Is aid not really looking to spend over 2500.00. I can do some of the work myself.
thanks MLT2
1998 Mark VIII LSC

RE: More Power

The only way you are going to get up to 350+ cheaply is with some N20. Cheapest hp there is. Otherwise look for a vortech. 3.73 and 4.10 (4.11 is GM) are good ratios for some more low end. Also longtubes, a high stall converter are some other nice goodies. Do some searches, it's helpfull.

Underdrive pullies, and electric water pump and a chip did wonders for mine but changing your rear end is the cheapest way to get some more ooomph.

By raw crank numbers you can do 400HP 'safely'. Nothing short of boost or nitrous will achieve that however.

A good start would be a chip, exhaust and gears. Then a shift kit and high stall converter will help get it moving. A Cobra intake and a set of headers will add some good HP too.

Had not thought of an electric water pump. Will this hold up to street use? The electric water pumps I saw in summit said race only?

I may not be the best example as mine is not a daily driver, but I have no issues with my Meziere electric water pump.

You will loose RWHP with gears, but you will accelerate faster. The 2nd gen marks have a much more conservative programming then the 1st gens. The car de-tunes it self at the shift points. A chip or dyno tune with a shift kit will do a lot. Add the exhaust and you will be within your budget.

well, on my '95 I put a Meizure e-water pump on at about 80,000 miles and its at 210,000 now...does that count as "holding up"?

You won't lose rwhp with gears! It will only appear so on the dyno but in reality your MPH (power) often goes up. Mine went up from previous best of 99mph to a new best of 101mph with gears.

Back