Tubular K member

driller

El Presidente
Staff member
What are the pros and cons of a tubular K-member?

How much is the cost and where's the best place they can be found for the Mark VIII?

How tough is the swap and what are the key points to consider during installation?

RE: Tubular K member

I emailed someone early last year and I beleive they started at $1000. I want to say it was dan i emailed, but it's been so long i don't remember.

I think there was or is one for sale over at tccoa, i believe I also saw the new LCA's that you need to go with it. Might want to check that out and save a few bucks.

Driller, Joe has one on one of his rides, and I believe John has one one his ride as well. I know they make some installations alot easier, but he also mentioned there are some drawbacks (like needing to fab up some of your own components as there is no factory support, holding alignment etc). I am sure he could share the skinnies with you.

THey run about 1000$ with all of the parts with mild steel.

Pro's:

Lightweight. Save about 45lbs off the front of the car if I remember correctly.

Makes getting to EVERYTHING INCLUDING HEADERS AND OILCHANGES a breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzeeeeeeeeee. The car is so much enjoyable to work on with one of these units on the car.

Cons:
Price

You have to fabricate bump stops by yourself, no too hard.

the lower control arms are POS. I had to weld gussets on the bottom of them to keep from bending where the airstrut bolts on. AJE cut 50% of the tube right at that critical point and expected it to hold. This results in the lower control arm to bend. I left the rod end i nthe LCA and straigtened it with a 50 ton press and then weled 1/4" steel gussets on the bottom of the LCA. SHe works perfect now. Hundreds of miles on the LCA now with no problem.

I have no idea if AJE fixed this or not.

Any pictures of a car with this K-Member installed?

Now that is just awesome. I guess with a few reinforcements, that makes for one kick ass mod.

Back