wHEN TO WASH ROAD SALT OFF THE MARK (MIDWEST QUESTION)

LD97LSC

Registered
O.K. so its a balmy 15 degrees here in Chicago and it will probably stay the same for most of December and the Mark is covered from top to bottom in white road salt from the snow over the weekend!! Is it a bad idea to have it washed because as soon as I pull out of the car wash everything will freeze up! What kind of things might break or malfunction? I really want to get the salt off to avoid rust but dont want to risk something freezing and breaking. What do you guys think??

RE: wHEN TO WASH ROAD SALT OFF THE MARK (MIDWEST QUESTION)

I HATE SNOW AND SALTY CARS!!! :B

The doors will freeze shut and you will break the door handle trying to open it. The keypad/locks might not work, and if you get the under side cleaned, who knows what else will freeze in the engine compartment.

Apply silicone to the door, and trunk seal. If you pull on a stuck door, pull from the top edge of the door, not the handle. Have lock de-icer, and washer fluid with de-icer handy just in case. If you park in the garage at night, not as big of a deal IMHO.

Talking about freezing weather you reminded me of my vacation about six or so years ago.
My wife and I flew into Boston in late April time and as we landed the captain informed us of the weather - "dry but cloudy and a temperature of 21 degrees". Great we thought.. nice and warm...just right. Having been decimalised for a long time in England, we had forgotten about degrees F. Our fist stop was for warm clothes!

Britlinc, that's too funny!

Lorenzo, I feel your pain. Sometimes I just accept that my car looks white in winter. :B

I wash my mark at least once a week in the winter, Usually after it snows when the roads are dry again. I have been doing this for years and have never had a problem with frozen door or locks. But you can always wipe off the door weather stripping and spray the locks afterwards. I hate the Salt.

I don't like car washes for many reasons but if your car is a daily driver then by all means go to one. Seek one out that uses forced air to dry then a bunch of guys going over it to remove excess water. Be sure they also open the doors and dry the door jambs. You shouldn't have any problems with freezing as long as the car is dried properly.

Leaving the car covered in road salt is certainly far worse than going through a car wash.

When I lived in New York I washed my car all the time and paid particular attention to the undercarrige. As you wash it leave it running. I promise nothing of any importance will freeze. In fact I have ben told that the layer of ice you make on the bottom is a temprorary barrier to more road salt...until the road salt melts the ice on your car anyway? They make a product, forgot the name sorry, that you spray into the door locks, keeps them from freezing. Kind of mute since we have a key pad but thought I would mention it anyway.

Once you are finished washing it, dry off your door seals (very important if you plan on re-entering your car while it's still below freezing!) Dry them when you are finished and re dry them once you arrive at your destination. Also dry off the edge of the door where it makes contact with the weather seal. Don't forget the bottom of the door. You may encounter a little resistance but it should not freeze you out. If it does, get yourself a small block of wood and screw driver. Place the wood on the frame of the vehicle and put the screw driver between the door. Have someone pull the door handle normally and just pry it open carefully. The wood obviously keeps the paint from being damaged. I did this all the time and never had a problem with my T-bird(the washing not prying). You can wrap the tip of the screw driver in electrical tape if you are the paranoid type.

Now go wash your car.

00 Mustang GT Vert
00 Silverado
94 Mark

this winter I clean my car at least 3 times a week, I fully dry it before I pull it outside and wd-40 the door weather stripping. Its nice having a clean car in the winter

Back