Mark 8 friend says has problem but I can find none

Thepurelife

Registered
I have a disabled friend I just placed his old car in the classified section here.This is the problem.The car was lightly rear ended only enough to put a couple scratches on it at the rear left bumper.Ever since he says the car dont shift right.Its a very nice mark 8 I think .I drove the car for a week and nothing seemed out of place.everything works and it shifts great .He had me punch it and let it shift through the pattern and there was a delay in shift from first to second when and only when I nailed the gas hard otherwise it went through all the grears at high hp without a delay.In everyday driving and still just a small bit of heavy foot it shifts finewithout a noticible problem smooth as glass.I was told that there is a electronic regulater per gear change that may need adjusted or replaced and it is an exterior transmission part.I was also told it would adjust itself out???? I see no problems in the car whatsoever unless you nail the gas hard then you see the delay only in those 2 gears.He has bought another car because of this and now is dumping off the mark 8 as he noware to keep it.Is this an easy fix ?What would be his best course to get rid of the mark 8 .We do not know if it is an adjustment or what or if the tranny would be going bad in the future.It went through inspection 8 months ago would they have not seen a problem as maryland is very very tight on inspections.The most strict state in the US.Everything must be in perfect working order to pass and original type parts.He dumped alot of money into it getting it serviced and I just want him to come out the best way possable.He is totaly disabled and it was for getting to church and back and doctors visits.The car was pampered and it makes no sense to me as they were only bumped a little on the rear.only enough to make small scratches on the bumper.It there a computer reset that needs to be done or something?I was also told that mustang people would want the motor and its a cobra is this true?Basically if you put new paint on the car you would think its a new car or just the clear coat areas.Should I have a garage take the moter out and sell the motor?Is the car worth more in parts then together?He has no room other then outside for it so he is trying to sell or trade it.I would think in perfect working order it would bring more.Any of you guys know what the problem could be and how to repair it?We have a couple mechanics at church if they knew what to replace or adjust.The car has had a full overdone service history by delearship only and most the accesory parts he had put on new just for wellbeing.Could any of the new parts like altenator or wterpump or battery affect the transmission performance and he just did not notice until the bump at the rear when he checked for it?Is there a button to push to reset this stuff.Its a 93 with the 4 cam motor and it runs fine.Heck it runs better the my vette and I must say I am impressed by the mark 8 cars although I am not a ford man.He wants to end up with guitars or instruments or something collectable for it but I think if we repaired it for him and sold it he could just buy things with the money.Any advice greatly would be appriciated on the repair or the best course of action.The tags he will turn in within a week so it can be driven anywhere without a problem.He just has limited funds and willnot pay for repairs so we are kinda winging it here.We have 2 good mechanics just not knowledgeable on the police transmissions or that set up.PLease help with any info thank you in advance.Also what would be the best site to list the car for sale/trade but he dont want another car he has no room.Is this the best site for this?

RE: Mark 8 friend says has problem but I can find none

My best guess would be a broken accumulator spring, most likely coincidental to the 'bump'. I would drop the pan, upgrade the accumulator, drain the TC, reassemble and fill with Mercon V.

Where in MD is the car?

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
My best guess would be a broken accumulator spring, most likely coincidental to the 'bump'. I would drop the pan, upgrade the accumulator, drain the TC, reassemble and fill with Mercon V. Where in MD is the car?
[/div]

Is that a very hard process? Would it take them alot of work-parts-money ? If so it would not be worth it to him/us to go down that road? We would rather keep the recources within the church and not drain them.He is located near Bel Air maryland.He has a home in the country but only a 1 car garage .The car was garage kept since day 1 so there is no rust at all.Its getting rainedon for the first time today that I know of.We are thinking between $750 and $1000 in cash/trade value for it would be fair but if that is a major repair would it be best to part it out?That sounds like a major repair.Would you think it better to pull it beside his garage maybe and let people take parts off of it?He is reserved about sending it to the auction because people will think it has no problems at all other then some clear coat missing.Its still a very nice looking car with the clear coat missing in some spots also.Your more then welcome to come look at it and drive it.You would not be able to tell any problems unless you flored it between first and second and then maybe it would not do it as it took me 3 times of trying to get it to do it.It may not do it at all.

the 1-2 accumulator is an easy job.

I got a quote from a local transmission shop, they said roughly .5-1 hour labor if I bought the parts required.

I believe the parts are in the neighborhood of 100 dollars.

If my parts estimate is correct, then the total bill should be AROUND 150.00ish

Delayed 1-2 shift or a hard 1-2 shift is a well known mark 8 transmission problem, and the fix is also well known.

Back