Gas Tank

Trixie

Staff member
Sorry, I couldn't figure out what forum this goes in.

Back in August I hit a pot hole and had to have my gas tank replaced. IIRC, they replaced it with a new tank.

So it's been coming to my attention that when I fill the gas tank (yes, it's taken this long cause I don't drive much and I try to get someone else to fill the tank when it's cold out), it's really only holding about 16 gallons.

The message center will say the tank is full, but I thought the gas guage showed just under full.

Any ideas if this is normal or what's going on? I really don't want to take it back to the shop, it's such a hassle.

RE: Gas Tank

I do not think I ever put 18 + gallons of fuel in the Mark, reading the gas station's pump meter. I think maybe 16 or 17 is the most for me.

But she used to take 18 just about exactly. I was just wondering though - could it be the thingie (is it called a float?) which is actually showing less gas in the tank left than there was?

According to the manual, the capacity is 18.0 gallons.

The fuel pump assembly also consists of a serviceable fuel level sensor(thingie shown below in red).

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1203.jpg

Also of interest:

Fill limiting is accomplished through the configuration of the vent fittings in the fuel tank. The fill limiting system is to keep fuel out of the evaporative emission valve (9B593) when the vehicle is on grades with a full tank of fuel which has expanded from heating.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
I do not think I ever put 18 + gallons of fuel in the Mark, reading the gas station's pump meter. I think maybe 16 or 17 is the most for me.
[/div]

I've actually put in 19.0 gallons in my Mark when my MTE said "0". I had gotten lost and was looking for a gas station.

I guess the pump could have been off though...

Oh my goodness, has it really been this long since I've filled my tank?

I went yesterday to the gas station and was only able to put in about 10 1/2 gallons, even though the tank was only 1/4 full. But when I started the car, it showed that there was only 15 gallons to empty, and the display showed between 3/4 full and full.

But I couldn't get any more gas in the car. Not a big deal, but that extra 3 gallons gives me another 50 or so miles which is nice to have on a long trip.

Well, apparently I know what the prob was. She took a full 18 gallons on the way home from Michigan. Guess I should have taken this back to the shop when I figured out there was a problem.

No wonder no one here could figure it out.

The only thing wrong with it, was that a "shop" worked on it, and screwed it up.:)

Last edited:
Back