Driver mirror question gen 2

pearlmark

Registered
Still a Motorhead

I have a new glass for the outside mirror. It is the autodim model with half the oil missing so it jumops the reflection at night. I have a new plain jane mirror to put into the frame and need any help for the job. My quewstion is how to get the old mirror out of the mirror enclosure and how to disconnect the wires to the auto dim or if they need to be cut at all. I have a flat new thin miror that can be glued onto the old mirror surface and wonder if anyone has done this and if so what should I do or be aware of

RE: Driver mirror question gen 2

Lots of people have done what you're describing due to the astronomical price of a Ford replacement.

To get the mirror off, use the door switch to adjust it to the innermost position. That should leave you with a gap on the outside which you can insert a screwdriver into and gently pry the mirror off. It should just pop off.

There are two sets of wires on the back of the mirror, one for the dimmer and one for the heater, but they're just regular spade connectors and aren't labelled. If you're gonna glue a new mirror onto the old one, it should be OK to reattach the wires when you're done. At least you'll still have the heat part, even if it's a little less effective.

Back