Little rattle when cold - and swaps lanes on 1-2 shift?

John Hubertz

Registered
OK...

My 94 is settling in - the only mechanical issues I've noticed are a trace of brake pulse (just a hint)and the following two things are definetly an issue:

100,000 miles - dealer serviced since new. It has a moment of internal engine rattle before quieting down when started dead cold. Just a bddddurrph! and I'm thinking sluggish lifters??? I'm planning a gunk motor flush followed by Mobil 1/Slick 50 to see if I can get the varnish out of it. Any experience with this? It gets cold here - the car is garaged but in the afternoon when leaving work the noise is noticeable, especially if temps are below 32 fahrenheit.

It also hits second gear nice and firm, but there is a looseness to the right rear corner you can hear over expansion joints and the toe in changes abruptly on that 1-2 shift....it damn near changes lanes!

What to check?

Thanks!

RE: Little rattle when cold - and swaps lanes on 1-2 shift?

Internal rattling? Versus the infamous cam tensioner rattle? Make absolutely sure you are using a oil filter with a quality anti-drain back valve.

The 1-2 shift sounds "non-lincoln". By that I mean it appears you may have a 1-2 shift accumulator issue. Has the 1-2 accumulator been upgraded?

Refer to the FAQ from the home page for more info on the above.

The looseness in the right rear corner sounds suspicously like a bearing issue. But it could also be control arm bushings. I would definitely investigate or at the very least have an alignment shop have a look at it.

Yes, I need to get it up in the air - I'm thinking probably a bushing issue as the rattle is very gentle - if it were in the front I'd say tie rod for sure.

It hits second nice and smooth, but when accelerating hard with the traction assist off naturally the power transfer is abrupt as all get out. I drove these cars new and it shifts like a new one.

Tell me more about the cam system - is it a hydraulic tensioner against a timing chain? It could very well be chain rattle as it sounds much like my Mercedes 450 with a similar setup.... and clearly it vanishes with oil pressure. I'm a firm believer in increasing viscosity as an engine ages so I'm going to a 10 - 40 synthetic on my first oil change.

How are these cars on lifters? Any chronic problems like the Mitsu motors?

Startup rattle. The secondary cam tensioners are a known trouble spot. They will often rattle on the first few seconds after sitting overnight. They are hydraulic tensioners using oil pressure, so yes it goes away with oil pressure. Wouldn't a higher viscosity oil will only make it worse?

The motors can be robust. There are many 200K plus specimens. Early versions do have a known issue with valve springs but nothing conclusive to call it chronic.

Back to the 1-2 accumulator. Not long after I got my '93, I noticed the shifts were different under WOT than I remember. After researching, I was certain the 1-2 accumulator spring was broken. Sure enough, when I upgraded the 1-2 accumulator, the lower spring was in 3 pieces. Under normal throttle it was hardly noticeable.

The timing chain does use a hydraulic tensioner.

They can cause a rattle noise when the car is started. Both my cars have the rattle.

I would think a thicker oil at cold start up, would cause the hydraulic tensioner to fill slower than the recomended 5W-30 oil.

Edit: Sorry JP I was typing when you were replying (and my car has 184 k miles on it)..:)

Startup rattle is normal

DO NOT USE SLICK 50

It will harm your engine more than help it. All it is is teflon powder suspended in motor oil. 90% gets caught in the filter right away, the rest doesn't help your engine at all.

Get under your car and check all the suspension bushings. Sounds like you might have a problem in the rear suspension if it's changing lanes when it shifts.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
if it's changing lanes when it shifts.
[/div]

Mine does it too, but I think it's due to lack of traction. ;)

Otherwise I would think it's the lower arm bushings.

DO NOT USE SLICK 50It will harm your engine more than help it.
[/div]

Instead of Slick 50, pour some B-12 or Sea Foam directly into the crankcase and let idle for 5 minutes. Drain oil and refill. Sludge will be gone. More precise instructios are on both products.

B12 or Sea Foam? I've always used GUNK motor flush - any info on where I can acquire these products?

John

SeaFoam can be had at Advance Auto and other chain stores.

IMHO, I would not do either unless there is a sure indication of sludge. If the crankcase/valvetrain is relatively clean, all you need is a quality filter and oil changes.

SeaFoam is what I use for a good induction system cleaning.

I drove these cars new and it shifts like a new one.

I'm a firm believer in increasing viscosity as an engine ages [/div]

1-2 accumulator problems are EITHER
abrupt 1-2 shift OR
Delayed 1-2 shift.

If your car is shifty smoothly and softly..that just MIGHT be a 1-2 accumulator issue.
If it's a 94 trans, it probably has the defective 1-2 piston still in the car.
Procrastination in this area will only result in a 2000.00 transmission repair.

Cam chain noise is common on startup, mine has been doing it since I bought it in 1999... 350,000 miles later, it's still doing it.

I can tell you from experience that you dont want to run 10-40 in the car.

I would suggest 10-30 being the MAX/Highest viscosity you run.

I've put 10-40 and 20-50 in the car and it only made the cam chain rattle WORSE and made it happen for a longer time.

The oil passages in these motors are very very tight, which is why the 5W-30 is the recommended oil.
When you put heavier oil in them, it takes that oil LONGER to get to the vital parts.

If you dont believe me, give it a try... it's your money, and time.
But the experience you gain will far outweight the monetary issue.
Prove it to yourself.

hope some of this helps
Tommy

10 - 30 Mobil 1 sounds like the ticket - it will fill the "gaps" when cold and yet not offer increased chain tensioner issues due to significantly higher viscosity. My Mercedes prejudice is showing - those are essentially light duty truck engines and I'm having to relearn these American ways.

On the 1-2 accumulator - how difficult is it to pull and switch?

I'm thinking of a thorough rear axle inspection beginning at the bushings and including rear axle carrier setups.... With the sway bar being automatically suspect although this car is rust free. Does the lincoln use sway bar links like some Foreign makes?

It only shifts strong when really pushing it - otherwise it is the sweetest shifting Ford I've ever had, bar none. I notice a pretty aggressive downshift when braking at around 15 - 18 mph. I wish I'd done the service training on this model when at Ford.... but it seems consistent with how we set up other performance cars like the GT automatics.

I'll post the results - and thanks for the info. The only thing I'm torn on is the slick 50 - teflon is an amazing substance.... Maybe I'll compromise and put in a pint of real voodoo - "Marvel Mystery Oil".... if only to have that hint of Menthol odor at the tailpipe.:D

The 1-2 accumulator is easy...

http://mark8.org/lod/1_2_Accumulator_paper.htm

Use Mercon V of course and install a tranny cooler...

http://mark8.org/lod/trans_cooler.htm

The rear swaybar is hollow and has been known to break. "Rear Sway Bar: The rear sway bar is prone to break just to the left of the right rear bushing. The reason for this is that the sway bar is hollow. Water can get in through the ends, and rust the tube from the inside out. Sealing the ends may help. The alternate is to replace it with an aftermarket solid sway bar." http://mark8.org/lod/alerts.htm

Differential housing bushings are another place to inspect...
http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12parts/IRS100/diff_bushing.htm

B12 or Sea Foam? I've always used GUNK motor flush - any info on where I can acquire these products?John
[/div]

The motor flush will work as well.

I just got a 93 Mk last week too and it has the chain rattle as well. I'm having some issues with the rear end getting jiggy at times too.

Thanks for the advice on what to look for guys.

Back