Strange, don't you think?

CE1235

Registered
Hello all,

First post here although have owned my '98 CE for 3 years now.
Great, great site....(I'm embarrassed I haven't thrown you guys some cash by now....my bad)

Purchased my CE (#1235,last day of production, pearl on graphite, all options except block heater) on a certain auction site back in March '03.

In the last 3 years, on AT LEAST 40 occasions, I have gone out to my driveway to find either the front or rear end of my car slammed with the "check air ride" light blazing in my face.....I was out of town the very fist time it happened and was riding low (front end)for 2 days before I could see my mechanic....I was about 5 miles away from his shop when suddenly, at a red light, the compressor kicked on and I was good as new. Happened again 3 weeks later (slammed in rear, light on) and 2 days later all was well again ......long story short, this has kinda been a 3 year running joke with my friends and mechanic (he has still never seen it slammed) and we now call my car "CHRISTINE" for it's ability to always fix itself within 2 days at the most (and again, over 40 times now, about once a month)

About the only common thread I can detect is that it mostly seems to happen after a good rain (or very humid weather)

Does anybody have a clue as to what's going on here?....I was once told that if something is acting up it never fixes itself but I'm not so sure...lol.....Could a compressor or sensor or something possibly be acting up for 3 years without me having to fix anything yet?

86K miles for what it's worth....

Any thoughts anyone??

Have a great day all!!

Greg (Upstate NY)

RE: Strange, don't you think?

if it happens after it rains, it could be water getting into a connection at the compressor.

i'd throw a compressor at it and see if it sticks. if it doesn't, chalk it up to preventative maintenance.

and welcome to the site!

RE: Strange, don't you think?

yah, rain will do a number on our cars. One time after it rained my alarm went off, so naturally I went outside with a steel bar and shut i off. Then when it happened again it became evident there was an electricial default.

Back