You've got to check this out.... hilarious/sad....

John Hubertz

Registered
On another Mark VIII club site we've been laughing and yelling about British Motor Journalist Jeremy Clarkston and his lampooning of the Mark on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmw9fpoZFmU

THEN somebody posted this full 30 minute show on Detroit cars....and in the middle he tests a 1989 TownCar....and says..... (about the ride) "imagine a baboon on a waterbed covered with itching powder...." and after that he settles down and gets REALLY critical! :D :D :D :D

Don't download unless you've got high speed....it's 199MB. http://q45.spilky.com/motorworld/

Enjoy!

John Hubertz

RE: You've got to check this out.... hilarious/sad....

C R E M E ? :)

He'd go giggly over aquamarine. :7

I didn't know my car had a 7 liter engine!

Actually he's not much different from a lot of car magazine writers in the US. They are hired to entertain, not to know anything.

Hey, how about that!

"If you drove a Lincoln Mark VIII in England, people would call you HuggyBear!"

:+

That's great!

I'm going to England soon, I'll have to show that to some friends. They will get a good laugh out of it too.

They would love to drive my Mark VIII, and I'd love to drive it on their roads..:)

I like jokes about the car jacking in Detroit (I'm in the Detroit "area").

You can come and see me while you're here and drive my Mark - you could save some ££££s as well and stop over.

Clarkson is a joke over here - like he called the Mustang "all mouth, no trousers". He just likes to hear the sound of his own voice!! There is quite a large market over here for American modern and classic cars, even if you don't include the rigt-hand-drive imports.

But - it has to be said, compared to European and Japanese cars, the American car is built worse, handles worse and is generally less of a drivers car. That said, I have a '94 Mark and a '95 T/bird as well as having owned other American cars. I like the V8s, good reliability and being different. No one has called me Huggey Bear (yet)!!

Dave Jarman. ( Britlnc )

HaHa nice...We all got 7 litre engines now. I'd like to get my hands on all his pristine Ivory "creme" interior pieces. (can someone from Detroit go over there and show him how its done, then sell me the pieces? :) That car was flawless inside. How old is this video? lol

1995 DK Blue Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK Blue Chevrolet 1500 P/U
2004 BLACK/Silver HONDA CBR 600RR

"You can come and see me while you're here and drive my Mark - you could save some ££££s as well and stop over."

Thanks for the invitation.

I was hoping to see a Mark VIII in England..:)

PM sent.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Clarkson is a joke over here - like he called the Mustang "all mouth, no trousers". He just likes to hear the sound of his own voice!! There is quite a large market over here for American modern and classic cars, even if you don't include the rigt-hand-drive imports.[/div]

Its funny how there is a good amount of demand over there for American Cars and over here there is a huge demand for the Land Rover Defenders. Only problem is that we cannot get a defender here in the states unless it was a NAS model and there are not many of them. 1997 NAS Defender goes for $25,000 and up even with 100,000 miles on them. Forget about the 110 models they are even harder to come by here and even more money.

The video is from the mid 90s (don't know the exact year off hand), so the car was probably brand new at the time.

I want to know who stole the 7 liter engine of my Mark VIII and substituted a 4.6 liter in its place. Should I complain to the dealer that sold it to me.

A Mustang "makes a lot of noise but does not actually do anything." A mugger's favorite. Is he kidding? I don't know if he had a V8 or six cylinder, but a V8 Mustang could trounce most cars, especially in its price range.

This is really unfair trashing of the Mark VIII and Mustang.

Alexander
Board of Directors
Lincolns of Distinction

I want to know who stole the 7 liter engine of my Mark VIII and substituted a 4.6 liter in its place. Should I complain to the dealer that sold it to me.A Mustang "makes a lot of noise but does not actually do anything." A mugger's favorite. Is he kidding? I don't know if he had a V8 or six cylinder, but a V8 Mustang could trounce most cars, especially in its price range.This is really unfair trashing of the Mark VIII and Mustang.AlexanderBoard of Directors Lincolns of Distinction
[/div]

Especially in England...what do they know about cars? Have they even built one?

Don't show your ignorance, mate. While I agree we do not have much of a manufacturing base anymore, we do build better Ford & Vauxhall(GM) than you do. At least they go round corners straight from the factory and don't need a whole host of mods to do it!! Anyway, I suppose it's right, you don't do "irony". Anyone who knows anything about Clarkson, knows not to take him serously - he's winding you up. He does it on every program(me) he makes. He does know however, that in real motoring circles, the American car is also a Joke - doesn't corner, doesn't stop, doen't fit together right. I know - Iv'e got & driven both, mate.

Britlnc.

Don't show your ignorance, mate. While I agree we do not have much of a manufacturing base anymore, we do build better Ford & Vauxhall(GM) than you do. At least they go round corners straight from the factory and don't need a whole host of mods to do it!! Anyway, I suppose it's right, you don't do "irony". Anyone who knows anything about Clarkson, knows not to take him serously - he's winding you up. He does it on every program(me) he makes. He does know however, that in real motoring circles, the American car is also a Joke - doesn't corner, doesn't stop, doen't fit together right. I know - Iv'e got & driven both, mate.Britlnc.
[/div]

You shouldn't show your ignorance either.

Everybody knows you get what you pay for. Spend enough money (read: Dodge Viper, Ford GT), and you get a car that can compete with anything else the world has to offer.

And while it is easy to knock "American" cars, please remember that they are built in Mexico. If you want to compare American built vehicles, check out Honda and Toyota.

How's that for "irony"?

Everybody knows you get what you pay for. Spend enough money (read: Dodge Viper, Ford GT), and you get a car that can compete with anything else the world has to offer.
[/div]

I don't know... If you consider a "speedy sleeve" on the crank, or not being able to drive the car because the upper control arm might break, to be "a car that can compete with anything else the world has to offer", then, well, maybe.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]Everybody knows you get what you pay for. Spend enough money (read: Dodge Viper, Ford GT), and you get a car that can compete with anything else the world has to offer.[/div]I don't know... If you consider a "speedy sleeve" on the crank, or not being able to drive the car because the upper control arm might break, to be "a car that can compete with anything else the world has to offer", then, well, maybe.
[/div]

Hey...all these being equal. Jags and Beemers have problems all their own...

I wasn't talking about expensive supercars - just the normal average buyer cars. To talk about Vipers & Ford GTs is like me talking about Aston Martins and the like. These are not the normal production car most people buy. It's plain to see you know absolutely nothing about the British motor industry so you should keep your throwaway, thoughtless comments to yourself. If you don't like anyone replying to your insults at another nation, then you should remember - you are on the World Wide Web and this forum is open to exactly that. Are you so insular that you think the Web is just for American use? Wake up! There's a world out there!!!

I wasn't talking about expensive supercars - just the normal average buyer cars. To talk about Vipers & Ford GTs is like me talking about Aston Martins and the like. These are not the normal production car most people buy. It's plain to see you know absolutely nothing about the British motor industry so you should keep your throwaway, thoughtless comments to yourself. If you don't like anyone replying to your insults at another nation, then you should remember - you are on the World Wide Web and this forum is open to exactly that. Are you so insular that you think the Web is just for American use? Wake up! There's a world out there!!!
[/div]

I think I speak for the rest of the forum when I say that your insults are distasteful and not in line with how most of us feel this forum should be conducted. Your information not withstanding, I refuse to take part in a slanderous conversation.

Good day to you, sir.

I always find it funny when an Englishman gets critical about automobiles, considering that their nation doesn't have a manufacturer that could put together a GOOD car to save their lives, aside from the marques that have been purchased by American companies, or use Japanese engines.

Back