Driver's door lock has issues

CE1235

Registered
O.K., need a little help/advice here..... have a '98 Collector's Edition.....I went out to the car this morning, clicked my unlock button on my keychain and the passenger side door lock popped up but not the driver's side.....put my key in the lock to open it manually but the key wouldn't turn in the lock....jumped in the passenger side, reached over to the inside handle and that was stuck as well but with quite a bit of force it finally opened but now the door will not shut!!....went and got my morning coffee and had to hold the door shut from the inside....I don't think I broke anything but then again if nothing was broken I wouldn't be typing this note :)

Any thoughts before I attempt to remove the inside door panel (no small feat for an accountant);-)

Thanks in advance!
Greg

RE: Driver's door lock has issues

I had that problem once. It was the door lock actuator.

The door latch wouldn't latch because the lock actuator wasn't releasing all the way.

With the door open, cycle the power door lock switch while helping it with the manual door lock. If you can get it to fully unlock, the door latch should work again (temporarily).

You could try to lube the latch, but the best way to repair it is to remove the door panel and check it out.

"If you can get it to fully unlock, the door latch should work again (temporarily)."

Great advice Bill....you got me thinking that my door lock button didn't come all the way up (even though it looked fine) so I went out just now with a pair of plyers, grabbed the top of the door lock button and it came up maybe only an 1/8-1/4 inch but that was enough for me to hear the locking gizmo pop back open.....pulled the door shut a few times....all is well....something is on it's way out that I will keep an eye on though.....thank you very much.....holding a Mark VIII door shut on corners will test your strength for sure....lol

Greg

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
"If you can get it to fully unlock, the door latch should work again (temporarily)."Great advice Bill....you got me thinking that my door lock button didn't come all the way up (even though it looked fine) so I went out just now with a pair of plyers, grabbed the top of the door lock button and it came up maybe only an 1/8-1/4 inch but that was enough for me to hear the locking gizmo pop back open.....pulled the door shut a few times....all is well....something is on it's way out that I will keep an eye on though.....thank you very much.....holding a Mark VIII door shut on corners will test your strength for sure....lolGreg
[/div]

All is well...for now. It might happen again if the actuator is sticking. The little rubber boot on top of it rots out and lets moisture in it. There's a chance that the latch needs to be lubed too but I had to replace my actuator.

I had to do the "hold the door closed" thing when mine first acted up. Not fun, and very dangerous. I'd get the door apart and fix it right away.

Good luck.

Back