93 Mark 8 Fuel Pump Replacement?

kflikt815

Registered
I was just wondering if you guys could give me a general idea of how much it would cost to replace the fuel pump and the lines for a 93 Mark 8. I found one that isn't running at the moment but I am sure that the only problem is the fuel pump. I checkd on the internet and found a pump for $100 but I do not have the know how or the tools to do the job myself. So what would be a fair price to replace the pump and the lines and the cost of labor for a decent mechanic?

RE: 93 Mark 8 Fuel Pump Replacement?

You're probably looking at a couple hours at whatever the shop rate is. You need a Walbro 190 lph or 255 lph replacement pump at a little over $100 the last I looked.

Well I talked to a mechanic the other day who has a shop right by where the car is at. He said it should be about $850 to replace the pump, lines, clean the injector and a few other things. Just seems like it would be too much money for me to spend when the pump itself is only $102 or something real close to that.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Well I talked to a mechanic the other day who has a shop right by where the car is at. He said it should be about $850 to replace the pump, lines, clean the injector and a few other things. Just seems like it would be too much money for me to spend when the pump itself is only $102 or something real close to that.
[/div]

Too much IMHO. What's his hourly rate?! Why are you replacing the fuel lines? Why are we 'cleaning injectors'?

Usually cleaning the injectors is nothing that a can of SeaFoam and a fuel filter wouldn't take of on a fuel injected vehicle. At the most $80-$120 to 'clean injectors' is typical around where I'm from unless they actually physically remove the injectors(which very few do). This mechanic is either unfamiliar with the Mark VIII or is a wolf in sheep's clothing. ;)

If it were me, I'd buy the Walbro pump and look around for someone to install it. It may cost more in a tow bill than the installation of the pump but I suspect it could be done far, far cheaper than $850.

When I talked to him about it the first time he seemed to know the mark 8 pretty well. Like I said above I think that $850 is way too much but my dad who also knows alot more about cars than me keeps telling me it's not. That $850 does include the two bill and apparntley the pump the mechanaic would be using is an oem that costs like $300, he needs to change the lines because they are corroded and as far as cleaning the injectors I really don't know what the reason is for that. My dad also told me that it should be a 4 hour job so that might be why its so much. I will ask my dad later when I see him.

Well if he's charging 4 hours, replacing the fuel lines and pricing an OEM pump, I can see the justification for $850. I would question the reason for an OEM pump. That's a significant difference alone. I believe the Motorcraft pump retails for like $475 compared to $100 for a Walbro pump.

Then there's the question, is the fuel pump the correct diagnosis??

When I talked to him about it the first time he seemed to know the mark 8 pretty well. Like I said above I think that $850 is way too much but my dad who also knows alot more about cars than me keeps telling me it's not. That $850 does include the two bill and apparntley the pump the mechanaic would be using is an oem that costs like $300, he needs to change the lines because they are corroded and as far as cleaning the injectors I really don't know what the reason is for that. My dad also told me that it should be a 4 hour job so that might be why its so much. I will ask my dad later when I see him.
[/div]

You're getting ripped off.

Go to a friend-recommended trustworthy mechanic. He'll do the pump for less than $300, parts and labor. Not sure about the other stuff.

Ok guys I agree with you in the fact I also think I would be getting ripped off. I talked to my dad again and he got all pissed off because I questioned what he told me. Anyways he said a reputable mechanic will not use a pump different than what the specs call for so that is why the mechanic would be using an oem pump. He seems to think that this guy would be giving me a good deal and I just don't. Understand that I haven;t paid the guy or told him to do anything yet. I am just trying to get different opinions on why he is charging so much.

Don't pay for an OEM pump. Tell your dad that if he wants to foot the bill, you'll take it and spend $850.

But for $850, you can buy the fuel pump, a jack, jackstands, a set of tools, and a class at the community college to show you how to do it yourself, and still have money for dinner.

But for $850, you can buy the fuel pump, a jack, jackstands, a set of tools, and a class at the community college to show you how to do it yourself, and still have money for dinner.
[/div]

.:7

Anyways he said a reputable mechanic will not use a pump different than what the specs call for so that is why the mechanic would be using an oem pump.
[/div]

A reputable mechanic would "tell you" that you dont need to replace the "entire fuel pump assembly"....

if you have a bad pump, then just put a fuel pump on the existing hardware.

I've changed 3-4 pumps on mark 8's and considering the amount of labor required, a "TRUE reputable" mechanic shouldn't be charging almost 1000.00 for a 200-300 dollar job.

The aftermarket pump recommended in this thread is a "DIRECT FIT", no modifications required.

If you were here in Texas, I'd do the swap for you for around 200.00 and I would put the 255 walboro pump in the car for you.
So for around 300.00 you could have a "GOOD" pump and a quality install.

ALSO.... I seriously doubt the fuel lines need to be replaced due to corrosion.
Last time I checked, plastic was pretty resistant to "corrosion".

And.. I would RUN from any shop that wanted to clean the injectors while they were "on the car".

If it were a "clean & balance/flow match" job on the injectors, that might be a different story.

Your dad isn't doing you any favors from what it sounds like, have him read this thread.

400.00 for this job would be "steep", but understandable.
850.00 is outright ROBBERY.

When I talked to him about it the first time he seemed to know the mark 8 pretty well. ...
[/div]

I got an idea.

Test him.

Question number one:

What size fuel injectors do the Mark VIII's have?

I think we need to come up with a Mark VIII mechanic quiz. It would help countless people ascertain the quality of their proposed mechanic. :)

What size fuel injectors do the Mark VIII's have?
[/div]

'bout the size of my thumb!

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]When I talked to him about it the first time he seemed to know the mark 8 pretty well. ...[/div]I got an idea.Test him.Question number one:What size fuel injectors do the Mark VIII's have?I think we need to come up with a Mark VIII mechanic quiz. It would help countless people ascertain the quality of their proposed mechanic. :)
[/div]

Even better...ask him why the Mark 8 "timing belts" ;) are so susceptable to breaking...

I'm still curious how he determined the fuel lines were corroded.

Most of the fuel lines cant even be evaluated without dropping the tank.

Well guys I tryed to get my dad to read over what everyone said and after reading a few of them he got real mad and wouldn;t read anymore. He said you guys are all mechanics and fixing cars is your livelyhood so you are talking about doing the work youself or getting a mechanics deal. He still thinks that this mechanic is very trustworthy and he is giving me a fair price. When I talk to the mechanic again I will ask him a few of the questions you guys said. Also about the fuel lines you do have to drop the tank to install a fuel pump correct? If so I believe that he already did that because my dad had told the guy to check out the car to see what all was wrong with it. If he did already do that then either I would be getting charged even more for him checking it out first or that $850 would include that. Anyways I still think its too much money for the work.

You have to at least "lower" the tank to install the fuel pump.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the overall job at $850 is too much to accomplish the goal here. The goal is to install the fuel pump and get the car running, right? You don't need an OEM pump. I know 600 HP race cars that use the exact same fuel pump I have - a Walbro 255 lph pump that can be had for approximately $100. You can easily use the 190 lph unit though there's not a lot of savings to be had.

The mechanic may be trustworthy, but I don't believe you need everything he's selling, that's all. ::wtf::

Edit: AllData lists 2.0 hours to R&R the fuel pump which does not include draining/refilling the fuel tank.

He said you guys are all mechanics and fixing cars is your livelyhood so you are talking about doing the work youself or getting a mechanics deal. [/div]

I aint no stinking mechanic!

Working on Mark 8's isn't my livelyhood, I do most of the work MYSELF because I cant afford to pay the types of prices that dishonest mechanics such as yours is charging you.

When I got my first car, I didn't even know how to change a TIRE.
Since I'm broke and poor it didn't take me long to figure out that "LEFT was to loosen the bolt and RIGHT was to tighten the bolt"

After that.. it's NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, hell.. it aint even MODEL ROCKET SCIENCE.

I guess if your dad is going to pay for it.. let him WASTE all the money that he thinks he can afford.

If he's making YOU pay for it, then you should have "some voice" in how you spend EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS.

If reading this thread made your dad MAD...that's pretty sad.

Back