Need help with rear subframe mounts

driller

El Presidente
Staff member
My '93 is on a lift at a shop and I took the opportunity to to do some suspension bracing. While doing so, I noticed the front of the rear subframe has these brackets attached to the body of the car. The brackets are rusted so, I decided to replace them. The bracket is called a 'stabilizer'(item #4) in the pic below.

http://www.lincolnsclub.org/forum/user_files/1415.jpg

Simple enough. The problem is the body mount bolt(# 5A) won't come out. It finally started turning with an impact wrench but nothing loosens, it just spins in place. :eek:

Suggestions please!

RE: Need help with rear subframe mounts

Driller:

I believe you need to either use the blue wrench on it and replace the bolt and nut or try and get an air chisel up there to break the nut as the nut was welded on originally (?). More character building opportunities :) :)

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Driller:I believe you need to either use the blue wrench on it and replace the bolt and nut or try and get an air chisel up there to break the nut as the nut was welded on originally (?). More character building opportunities :) :)
[/div]

Wow, we think alike. :)

I ordered the bolts, nuts, rubber isolators and top reinforcements today from Max at Five Star Ford and had them shipped 2nd day air. I stopped by the shop after work today. I had brought a hole saw with me and drilled a 2" hole in the side of the box section adjacent to the location of the nut.

What I discovered was the flanged nut was spinning with the bolt. Approximately 3/4" of bolt was still through the nut and the square flange had bent the retaining tabs used to hold the nut from turning upon assembly. Using the hole as access to the nut, I used a small torch, heated the nut and clamped a small pair of vice grips on it and proceeded to use an impact wrench on the bolt. It partially unscrewed and then seized up again. I repeated the application of the blue wrench once more and again attacked the bolt with the impact wrench. Finally the bolt came unscrewed from the nut. But it still refused to come out of the isolator assembly.

I resorted to the air chisel attacking the reinforced top 'cap', chopping my way to the center where the bolt was still lodged. After about an hour, I had won the battle with the remnants of everything laying on the shop floor.

It appears the replacement of the new rubber isolator will be a real challenge! It's like putting a 3" rubber rivet through a 2-1/2" hole on the subframe(all this while still on the car).

Tomorrow, I will build more character with removing the other side! }(

haha Nothing can say no to the torch. I was going to suggest it, but kept quiet. Sometimes it's the only way. It's the miracle cure all.

1995 DK Blue Lincoln Mark VIII
1998 DK Blue Chevrolet 1500 P/U
2004 BLACK/Silver HONDA CBR 600RR

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]Driller:I believe you need to either use the blue wrench on it and replace the bolt and nut or try and get an air chisel up there to break the nut as the nut was welded on originally (?). More character building opportunities :) :) [/div]Wow, we think alike. :) I ordered the bolts, nuts, rubber isolators and top reinforcements today from Max at Five Star Ford and had them shipped 2nd day air. I stopped by the shop after work today. I had brought a hole saw with me and drilled a 2" hole in the side of the box section adjacent to the location of the nut. What I discovered was the flanged nut was spinning with the bolt...
[/div]

Yep. I had a body shop do mine about 3 years ago. That was the approach they used after the bolt just started spinning. My bracket had rusted out around the bolt head. Sort of an expensive bushing to replace.

I think the proper term is Victor wrench. The more cars you tear apart the more you hate them. I have had every single subframe bolt break/or twist on me. It is not a fun experience. I find the more I curse the faster they come out..

When I took the rear end out of mine I broke the head off all the bolts. I had to use the gas axe to melt the center bolt in order to get it to seperate at rubber bushings in order to get mine down.
Keith
93 BLACK
93 MAROON
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.

Well heck...

I have the same problem on my 93. The brackets look like rusty swiss cheese.

After seeing the first posts in this thread, I WAS going to order a set of brackets.

After reading the rest, I think I'll let the body shop deal with it instead.

... After reading the rest, I think I'll let the body shop deal with it instead.
[/div]

...and to think I'm working on mine AT a body shop! :7

The Lincoln gods smiled upon my dismal experience. I was able to remove the bolt on the other side without destroying the isolator mount. I bolted up the bracket and the drivers side is good to go. Parts should be in tomorrow to finish(hopefully) the drivers' side. Hopefully the paint booth appointment is tomorrow as well. :)

Back