Did I do a bad thing?

crash

Registered
I was getting my mark out of hibernation this past weekend. I changed the oil, Mobil 1 of course. But I used 10W-30 instead of 5W-30. I must be green/blue colorblind because I swore I got the right grade. Anyway, it wasn't until I was cleaning up when I realized what I did. I have not driven any miles yet and probably won't for a few weeks. I checked the archives on the other board and didn't see any definitive answer. Should I switch back to 5W-30 right away or will I be ok with the 10W-30?

RE: Did I do a bad thing?

I am not an expert but I would say that you should be fine.

I'm no expert either but I don't think 3000 miles on 10W will hurt anything.

I made the same mistake, but the engine didn't blow up for about 25 miles, so don't worry about it.

Ok, see, that's why I'm a computer science major, and not a comedian. ;-) I DID put in 10W instead of 5W once before though, but I haven't had any problems. If you had a bunch of mods, it might be more of an issue.

Whats the best to go with. The 5 weight on cold starts, or the 10, the 10 will give it better protection on colder startups, also slightly harder start, probably not even able to feel difference. The 2nd wieght, 30, is the weight when the engine is warmed up.

Is this right. I have also seen the 5w-45 or 50 or something, that should be great protection once the engine is warm.

If you are not going synthetic, why not stick with what Lincoln recommends?

The only problem you will have is slightly higher viscosity in the cold. I wouldn't run 10w30 in the winter, but in the summer there's no reason to switch it out. Once the engine is warmed up, it won't be able to tell the difference. Oil pressure might be slightly higher on start up, though. Don't worry about it.

I wouldn't Worry. I run 15-50 in the summer and 10-30 in the winter. My car has 182,000 and I've had it since 100,000. No Problems. By the way the COBRA R, I understand the same basic engine as ours, come from the factory with Mobel 1 15-50. I don't THINK you will have any problems.
WAYNE

"Oil weight, or viscosity, refers to how thick or thin the oil is. The temperature requirements set for oil by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is 0 degrees F (low) and 210 degrees F (high).

Oils meeting the SAE's low temperature requirements have a "W" after the viscosity rating (example: 10W), and oils that meet the high ratings have no letter (example SAE 30). An oil is rated for viscosity by heating it to a specified temperature, and then allowing it to flow out of a specifically sized hole. Its viscosity rating is determined by the length of time it takes to flow out of the hole. If it flows quickly, it gets a low rating. If it flows slowly, it gets a high rating.

Engines need oil that is thin enough for cold starts, and thick enough when the engine is hot. Since oil gets thinner when heated, and thicker when cooled, most of us use what are called multi-grade, or multi-viscosity oils. These oils meet SAE specifications for the low temperature requirements of a light oil and the high temperature requirements of a heavy oil. You will hear them referred to as multi-viscosity, all-season and all-weather oils. An example is a 10W-30 which is commonly found in stores. When choosing oil, always follow the manufacturer's recommendation."

from: http://www.autoeducation.com/autoshop101/oil-change.htm

Notice the first paragraph refers to zero degrees F. I think you're more than safe.

That's exactly true, but 10W at 0 degrees is still a significant amount thicker than 30 wieight at 210 degrees.

5-30 is good for newer cars.
10-30 is good for older cars with miles.

According to info I've read on Mobile site.

Mobil 1 10w-30 can pass the specs for 5w-30 if they wanted to bother, but Mobil likes to brand the oil so as not to confuse people. Mobil 1 10w-30 will flow better at cold temperatures than 5w-30 dino oil will. So you are good.

-Joel.

5-30 is good for newer cars.
10-30 is good for older cars with miles.

According to info I've read on Mobile site.
[/quote]

That is what I heard as well. It says it right on the box.

When I purchased my Mark VIII in January of 2002, the odometer read 63,000 mi. The previous owner had already changed the oil to Mobil 1, at 5-30 wt. I then changed the oil to 10-30, because of the amount of use that the car would be getting. It is now over a year later, and the odometer has just passed 83Kmi. When I purchased the car it was consuming one quart of oil every 2500 miles. Now it consumes 1/2 quart every 6000 miles which is my change marker for Mobil 1. I also drive almost all of my miles in excess of 80mph, and also at altitudes above 4500 ft. Location is Arizona, where freezing temperatures are not uncommon, but seldom last for more than 8 hours.
Don't know if this is any help, but it is information.

Tim Van Nattan
'94 Mark VIII
Santa Fe/Saddle
"Moffie"

Back