Spark Plugs

Great8

Registered
I have been wanting to change plugs and wires. I have read alot of post about them and had all but bought the Autolite 764s. The other day I was reading through the owner manual when I saw a paragraph explaining that Cyl. 1-4 used a different plug then Cyl. 5-8. What do all the letters stand for after the #'s. Do the 764's run better with modified then stock. How do Motorcraft 12C's compare.
I know, alot of ?. I have become completely confused myself.
Thank you for any info or ref. you might have.

RE: Spark Plugs

I have Autolite 764's in my 96 and they are all the same.

Several unique styles of enhanced spark plugs are produced for 4.6L (4V) engines. Each style is identified by the part number letters.

- AWSF-32E indicates the center electrode is enhanced with platinum and are used in cylinders 5, 6, 7, & 8 of the engine.

- AWSF-32EG indicates the ground (side) electrode is enhanced with platinum and are used in cylinders 1, 2, 3, & 4 of the engine.

- AWSF-32EE indicates platinum enhancement on both the ground (side) and center electrode. These EE spark plugs are the service replacement for all cylinders of the engine.

The AWSFA-12C is a colder plug, it is copper and helps prevent knocking.

Where then does the 764 fall. Should I look for an EE designation on all replacments for my engine. I have always been of the mind that all parts in the ignition systems should be replaced with factory replacments. Is that wrong? I would have to say that the magority of post I have read on this board recommend or use the 764 or Bosch 4+ Platnium. Then there is the question of gap. Do you go with factory gap or do manufacturers recommend a gap for thier plugs and my vehicle.
Do mods make a great deal of difference as to the plug choice. It would appear that the more modified power plant might require a different plug. There really seems to be alot of possibilities and choices to consider when it comes to plugs.
Isn't there a common rule of thumb here. It would seem the perfect place for one. Maybe one of you automotive geniuses would like to create one?

What are you looking for in the spark plug? More performance, longevity and durability? Cost?

What are you looking for in the spark plug? More performance, longevity and durability? Cost?
[/quote]

Cost is definately not a big issue here. I just have a problem with 3 to $400 on a set of plug wires. Maybe I'm cheap, I don't know. If you look at the mods I am talking about I'm sure they would rate as minor ones. I have no idea what kind of extra demand they might create for the plugs. My existing plugs have noticable wear on them and I feel need to be replaced. I kind of like the idea of the durability mentioned with a platnium plug. Performance I feel can be measured by gains in efficiency (mpg). I have seen plug wires make a noticable improvment before, so I feel some money spent on them will be well worth it. I just do not understand the science when choosing a plug other then factory req.. I am just know beginning to ? that because of all the post I have been reading lately has brought it to my attention.
I guess to put it in a nut shell the way I see these modifications is that if I were to drive in the same manner prior to and after each mod and my mpg was to improve with each mod then I would feel justified in that modification. Now, I am talking about a tangable improvment. Lets say from start to finish with the chip, MAF,Plugs and wires and the exhaust I am hoping to gain 3 to 5 mpg as a whole. Now the exhaust for sure and if I am not mistaken the MAF will serve another purpose I feel is important is the sound, and I am not wanting it to be loud, just respectable. After all this is an impressive motor and it should sound impressive. I think the most impressive sounding car I have heard before was a Saleen Mustang. Now, I know its been mentioned that Marks and Mustangs do not sound alike, it is meant as an example only.
So does this help at all explain what I am trying to accomplish?

I am also beganing to get the feeling that if I change the MAF it will require some sort of sensor changes? I do not want to have to change a bunch of other thing to commpinsate for these changes. I am trying to stay closer to stock then modified. IF THAT MAKES ANY SENSE!?
Anyway, thank you for your replies.

Has anyone tried Denso Iridium spark plugs?

http://www.densoiridium.com/

Independent testing shows 6hp with tq gains on a Dynojet with a 4.7 liter V8.

The Denso Iridium spark plug for my 98 LSC is IT16 with a gap of 0.054. I will be using these on my first ever plug change on the Mark (70k miles). Just wondering if they are as good as they sound.

A 6HP gain compared to what? That does not tell me much. You could change out old worn and fouled plugs and then replace them with factory ones and see a gain. Was this testing done back to back with new plugs of different types?

It is from pg 120 of MMFF 4/03 issue (Denso Ad). It has a Dynojet graph that compares it to the stock plug. It does not give details of how the test was done, or plug condition, other than it was an independent test.

I would think they would not compare them to trashed plugs, but who knows. Their web page invites you to post your own results. I think Dennis might be testing them, as he has mentioned them in other postings.

Ok, so it is compared to stock. So I am wondering then how it would compare to the other colder plugs. I never tested theses but it was my understanding that they may benefit supper charged application to help prevent blow out?
At $12/plug I am skeptical that they would be any better in normally aspirated application then the MOTORCRAFT colder plugs that are cheeper. The AWSFA-12C plugs cost me a $1.56 each, I am not sure how much the platinum lighting plugs are.

How may miles do they say you can go on them?

I did not find on their web page how many miles you can get from a set of plugs.

They say that the iridium alloy they developed is better than platinum in hardness, strength, and melting point. They also state that it takes 5,000 fewer volts to fire their plug vs conventional plugs.

Sounds to me like they will last as long/longer as a platinum plug.

Not trying to drag this out but can someone explain to me what the difference between these plugs mentioned and stock plugs? Why you feel they are superior to stock and if so why they are not the factory choice? When you say colder plug, what does that mean and why do I want a colder plug?
I appriciate your suggestions, at the same time I would like to know about the thought process and the how's and why's of the conclusions. Teach me, for I too wish to learn the ways of the Jeti Knight.

Go to this site: http://www.densoiridium.com/howtoreadusedplugs.php

It has pictures of how to read plugs. It all depends on the condition of the plugs in your Mark, and how they look now. It will show you what to look for and then decide what is the best plug based on the condition of your motor, and driving habits.

This site also talks about hot and cold plugs (heat range), and engine tuning.

After reading the FAQ section of the site, I have found the following:

The Denso Iridium Power plug (.4mm center electrode) is for performance applications, and they advise to replace the plugs every 30k miles.

As Steve mentioned earlier in this thread, these plugs shine with turbo/super chargers, and nitrous, due to their high efficiency. They do not last as long as I thought, and they are expensive. This spark plug has it's place, like the rest of them.

That is why I was looking for comments from board members that have tried them.

Heres my take on it.
I use awsf 22c's in every car I do.The 12 c's are too coldfor pretty much any application.A plug that is too cold is very prone to fouling.

The irridiums are supposed to be very good on boosted cars.I havent done any tests but i have friends that have had good success with them.But they are expensive.Something like 12 bucks a piece.

But like I said I have had great success with the 22c's.They were in my car when it made 701hp.

The autolite 764s are a good plug if you want to stay with the factory heat range and they are widely available.

For people that dont know,a colder plug puts the electrode further away from the flame front.Which in turn is "colder"

hey they make so many difrent plugs for a resone. every car is difrent and every driver is difrent and every setup is difrent. you need to find what would work best for you. like cris said the 22c's work great for him. you may find to much fouling with those if you drive ultra conservative but if you get on it you need something colder then stock to keep it off the knock sensors other wise you are just loosing power any ways.i like to take each of my own cars difrent and so sould you. also at the cost of plugs you could aford to try both the 22c's and the 12c's a couple times to find what works best for you. aswell as the 764's and iridiums to.

hey they make so many difrent plugs for a resone. every car is difrent and every driver is difrent and every setup is difrent. you need to find what would work best for you. like cris said the 22c's work great for him. you may find to much fouling with those if you drive ultra conservative but if you get on it you need something colder then stock to keep it off the knock sensors other wise you are just loosing power any ways.i like to take each of my own cars difrent and so sould you. also at the cost of plugs you could aford to try both the 22c's and the 12c's a couple times to find what works best for you. aswell as the 764's and iridiums to.

Maybe so, but I am not able to spend so much time switching plugs around. I am not a conservative driver, nor do I race. I was just looking for a good all around plug that would give me good performance with the mods I am planning to do. I guess the key thing is the mods. I am new to this mod thing and was concerned that the plugs may need to be changed to achieve optimal performance with the mods. I don't know enough about it to determine that for myself. I also wanted to learn about it for future reference. It is curious to me though when you say it depends how you drive because I have never seen the manufactutrer recommend different plugs based on driving styles. Anyway all your replies have been a big help.
The 22c's sound like a good place to start. Thank you all!!

Back